Tips for a constantly loosening output jack

What's Hot
SpaceaceukSpaceaceuk Frets: 19
edited January 6 in Guitar
Output jack nut keeps coming loose on my Emily Wolfe semi hollow , I’ve already lost it into the body once and I’m frightened to death of losing it again or damaging the finish if I try and tighten it too much or with scratchy tools
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10967
    Use some thread lock or nick a bit of the wife's nail varnish which will do just as well. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4209
    Think you want some form of anti-shake washer. They look like a Japanese throwing star and collapse as you tighten them. That and a dab of threadlock or nail varnish on the nut to stop it coming free. It will effectively glue the nut in place but with a weak bond that you can break when you need to undo the nut. 
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SpaceaceukSpaceaceuk Frets: 19
    Ahhh genius I’ll raid my weekend dress up box and get some nail varnish out
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 5034
    Ahem... output jack.   ;)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Haha indeed it is the output jack …… it’s been a long day . Well spotted Jonathan 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5101
    It's an OUTPUT!!!!!

Maybe felt washers will be kinder to the wood.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    prowla said:

Thats exactly what you don't want - they will allow it to slip. You want a shakeproof/grip washer on the inside where it will bite into the wood and stop the jack rotating at all, which is what loosens it. Then use threadlock/cheap superglue (just a drop)/nail varnish on the thread and tighten the nut - you may need a taper reamer in the jack to hold it while you tighten it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    prowla said:

Thats exactly what you don't want - they will allow it to slip. You want a shakeproof/grip washer on the inside where it will bite into the wood and stop the jack rotating at all, which is what loosens it. Then use threadlock/cheap superglue (just a drop)/nail varnish on the thread and tighten the nut - you may need a taper reamer in the jack to hold it while you tighten it.
    Great advice thank you
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 1407
    When tightening you can use a raw plug and screw in the jack to lock in place while you tighten the nut
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    When tightening you can use a rawlplug and screw in the jack to lock in place while you tighten the nut
    Great idea - probably more likely to be available to the average non-professional than a taper reamer. (Spelling corrected in case anyone didn't understand that bit ;).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    When tightening you can use a raw plug and screw in the jack to lock in place while you tighten the nut
    Interesting not heard that one before I’ll have a go  thank you 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11843
    tFB Trader
    Don't get a taper reamer mixed up with a Tapir reamer ... very different ballgame.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Don't get a taper reamer mixed up with a Tapir reamer ... very different ballgame.

Balls I was on my way to Chester Zoo as we speak
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20517
    ^ Animal abuse rapid response squad... stand down, false alarm.
    ICBM said:
    When tightening you can use a rawlplug and screw in the jack to lock in place while you tighten the nut
    Great idea - probably more likely to be available to the average non-professional than a taper reamer. (Spelling corrected in case anyone didn't understand that bit ;).)
    Ah, thank you :)
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8957
    edited January 7
    That's a really useful tip @Petepassion; I've used all kind of improvised methods and modified everyday tools to do the job, but that one is by far the simplest and most readily available way I hadn't thought about.
    BillDL said:
    That's a really useful tip @Petepassion; I've used all kind of improvised methods and modified everyday tools to do the job, but that one is by far the simplest and most readily available way I hadn't thought about.
    Yeah, great idea, wish it was mine, can’t remember where I heard this now.
  • PALPAL Frets: 595
    There is an inexpensive tightening tool you can buy  that will help to do this. If you just keep tightening the nut there is the possibility of the wiring on the jack socket itself twisting and eventually breaking one of the connections or shorting out !
    Also once it is tightened a very small dab of Glue will help.
    It's also worth using and angle jack for your guitar this will have less stress on the socket and more importantly the top of 
    your guitar top. Hope this helps.

Here is the tool you need.  https://www.armstrongmusic.co.uk/accessories-c14/miscellaneous-accessories-c15/pro-rockgear-bullet-guitar-jack-tightener-p2680
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3454
    PAL said:
    There is an inexpensive tightening tool you can buy  that will help to do this. If you just keep tightening the nut there is the possibility of the wiring on the jack socket itself twisting and eventually breaking one of the connections or shorting out !
    Also once it is tightened a very small dab of Glue will help.
    It's also worth using and angle jack for your guitar this will have less stress on the socket and more importantly the top of 
    your guitar top. Hope this helps.

Here is the tool you need.  https://www.armstrongmusic.co.uk/accessories-c14/miscellaneous-accessories-c15/pro-rockgear-bullet-guitar-jack-tightener-p2680
    This