Plant based chips?

What's Hot

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10360
    elstoof said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Well if we're going down that road, what's the point of language at all?  What kind of world do we want to live in?  One where words sometimes mean what they mean and sometimes don't?

Words describe things.  If the words you are using do not easily convey what you are trying to say, you're not using the right words.  Pick more appropriate words.

It's not brain science.
    What’s quite poetic here is that the word “chip” has about 8 different meanings in the English language 
    Very good point, as do Plant and Based, interestingly
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 422
    elstoof said:
    Not the good stuff

Food free food.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    edited January 10
    elstoof said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Well if we're going down that road, what's the point of language at all?  What kind of world do we want to live in?  One where words sometimes mean what they mean and sometimes don't?

Words describe things.  If the words you are using do not easily convey what you are trying to say, you're not using the right words.  Pick more appropriate words.

It's not brain science.
    What’s quite poetic here is that the word “chip” has about 8 different meanings in the English language 
    Very good point, as do Plant and Based, interestingly
    Following this....

If these are right words Are there LEFT words? 

Why did you pick "RIGHT word", and not use the term "correct" words?

Words have meaning, PICK MORE APPROPRIATE WORDS....LOL

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PjonPjon Frets: 332
    WezV said:

Like @CavemanGrogg ; I am also guilty of ordering delivery from a Chippy I can see from my front door :D 

I once had an argument with my wife because I asked for delivery from the Chinese that was directly across the road from us. My argument was that if they can deliver up to two miles away then they can just walk across the road and knock the door. Years ago, the same place was one of the first Indian take-aways around here. The owner used to just walk in with left-overs and hand them to us. We knew him, but not really all that well!
    edited January 10
    Pjon said:
    WezV said:

Like @CavemanGrogg ;; I am also guilty of ordering delivery from a Chippy I can see from my front door D 

I once had an argument with my wife because I asked for delivery from the Chinese that was directly across the road from us. My argument was that if they can deliver up to two miles away then they can just walk across the road and knock the door. Years ago, the same place was one of the first Indian take-aways around here. The owner used to just walk in with left-overs and hand them to us. We knew him, but not really all that well!
    When my parents were still working, if there are any mistakes orders, we would give it to the next Regular who comes in with their meal rather than go to waste.  Would tell them what the item was so there is no allergy (some dishes has nuts).  That is if I didn't take it myself for lunch next day!

Never knocked on the door to the people living in the flat across the street though.  
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25493
    edited January 10

A Chip  in this country is traditionally made with animal fat - FACT

Therefore one who buys chips  (without any other description) would expect it is made with animal products.

What are you talking about?!!

Chips are cooked in vegetable oil!!

What subhuman freak chipshops do you go to?!

Every chippy I've ever been to in my life has cooked their chips in vegetable oil.

Someone buying chips in a chipshop would never imagine for a second that there would be any animal product involved.

Cooking with dripping or lard is a dying practice only undertaken by a minority of freaky weirdos in obscure northern towns under cover of darkness.

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • Emp_Fab said:

Therefore one who buys chips  (without any other description) would expect it is made with animal products.

Every chippy I've ever been to in my life has cooked their chips in vegetable oil.

Someone buying chips in a chipshop would never imagine for a second that there would be any animal product involved.

perhaps you need to read the earlier pages of this thread regarding beef dripping being the norm??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

edited January 10
    Emp_Fab said:

Modern fish and chips, yes.

Your brain conveniently ignore and skimmed over the word traditionally. There is a reason why I said traditionally.  I am not even born here and younger than you and I know that...

Words have meaning!!! 

WORDS HAVE MEANING !!!

Is that not an appropriate word? Is that not using words to describe things? I forgot who said that only this morning. LOL

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    No - it isn't the norm at all.

Not even close!

"vegetable oils, such as palm oil, rapeseed or peanut oil (used because of its relatively high smoke point) now predominate, in part because it makes fried chips suitable for vegetarians and for adherents of certain faiths.

A minority of vendors in the North of England and Scotland, and the majority of vendors in Northern Ireland, still use dripping or lard"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_and_chips#:~:text=Traditional frying uses beef dripping,for adherents of certain faiths.

• Emp_Fab said:
    No - it isn't the norm at all.

Not even close!

"vegetable oils, such as palm oil, rapeseed or peanut oil (used because of its relatively high smoke point) now predominate, in part because it makes fried chips suitable for vegetarians and for adherents of certain faiths.

A minority of vendors in the North of England and Scotland, and the majority of vendors in Northern Ireland, still use dripping or lard"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_and_chips#:~:text=Traditional frying uses beef dripping,for adherents of certain faiths.

ok not the norm.. but still in practice.. hence the point of the whole discussion on a chip shop's endeavour to be transparent..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25004
    My god, what a mind-numbingly boring discussion.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ok, so do you now admit that modern chips can be called 'plant based' ?

It's only a small minority of chips cooked by Northern Morlocks that can't be ?

Philly_Q said:
    Shut yer face!  It was so boring you had to join in!  You can't let them get away with it!!  Denying that chips are plant based is tantamount to treason!

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10360
    Emp_Fab said:

Not necessarily always, as it could still be cooked in with the fish and batter
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 780
    What if I pissed on your chips, then dried them off with paper towel. Would that be taking the piss?
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 10
    Emp_Fab said:

It's not like there is a law where only people up north can cook it in animal fat, anyone in the south who wants to go the more "traditional" route can too.  So to say it on the menu that it is plant based, at least it gives the customer who cares more information.  
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25004
    edited January 10
    Emp_Fab said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Shut yer face!  It was so boring you had to join in!  You can't let them get away with it!!  Denying that chips are plant based is tantamount to treason!
    Yeah, I made a completely pointless "who cares", "never heard of him", "this is shite" type of comment, I'm not proud of myself.  But really, eight pages of this?  I don't know how you guys can keep going.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17461
    edited January 10
    Emp_Fab said:
    Cooking with dripping or lard is a dying practice only undertaken by a minority of freaky weirdos in obscure northern towns under cover of darkness.

it's definitely a regional thing.  Don't write off half the country because it's not what they do near you.

Many of the top UK chip shops use Dripping as their main cooking fat, with other oils used for those that require it.

I wonder if the chip shops in Hadfield (the location of Royston Vasey, in the Midlands) uses dripping?

Any one for some orange chips

Or how about the oddest regional chip shop thing I encountered, definitely northern this time - Chip Bap Pea Wet.   This involves pouring the left over juice of the mushy peas over your chips!!