Using an iPad for live sampling vocals

What's Hot
ijontyijonty Frets: 32
Hi folks

I want to use the SampleWiz app to do something similar to this video, though not the same song:

TLDWatch: I need the vocal to go into an iPad, then out comes the vocal and the sampled bits of that vocal in real time. Perhaps it's no different to using the iPad as an effect pedal.

I've never used a tablet for this sort of thing, so what's the best way to connect everything up? Mic to iPad to PA? Split the Mic to PA and iPad, then both to PA?

I'm a beginner with live stuff, so any help appreciated!

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Would alwys recommend a split if you have the channels, gives you more control over effected signal 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    And what interface thingy would I need to allow me to do that? Something that will feed the mic into the iPad then out again. Anything you recommend?

J

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
    <bump> Can anyone help?

• shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    edited January 16
    Lots of decent, well priced audio interfaces will connect to the iPad just like a PC/Mac if you have the right cables.

Focusrite are often the first choice. The magic phrase (I believe) is “class compliant”.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/focusrite-scarlett-4th-gen

Mic > I/F > iPad > I/F > PA.

Mic signal is “virtually” split, one sent straight to output > PA, the other through your chosen app and then output > PA so no reason to do a separate split unless you want to further process separately at the PA or don’t want to hear the processed vocal in your monitor.

I’d also budget for a line isolator like the ART DTI to electrically separate the I/F from the PA.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27724
    I'm not sure how Samplewiz works, but ideally I'd put the vox in to the ipad and then use that to output live vocals and samples as well via just about any usb interface
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Thanks both. I've got a Focusrite at home, but was hoping there might be something simpler (smaller/lighter) that I could use on stage?

I’d also budget for a line isolator like the ART DTI to electrically separate the I/F from the PA.

I'm new to this. Would this be essential? What does it do?

edited January 16
    ijonty said:

I'm new to this. Would this be essential? What does it do?
    It allows signal to pass without having an actual direct “metal to metal” connection so earth/ground problems are avoided and any inadvertently applied phantom power voltage doesn’t upset the upstream hardware.

Also good if you want to match an unbalanced signal from an iPad headphone socket to a balanced mixer input.

Having one connected never causes a problem but you don’t really need it until you really need it.

:)
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3072
    I have an iTrack Dock (boxed, as-new) that might help:

£50?

R.
    I have an iTrack Dock (boxed, as-new) that might help:

£50?

R.

Hi, not seen one of those before. Let me look into it a bit more and come back to you, cheers

Oh, and would I still need the ART DTI with the iTrack?

ijonty said:
    Hi,

You don't *need* a audio isolator. Any PA you're plugging into will likely provide a DI Box which serves the same purpose.

You can always pick something later if you find you do have ground loop issues.

This is the iTrack Dock user guide:

https://fael-downloads-prod.focusrite.com/customer/prod/s3fs-public/focusrite/downloads/20358/itrack-dock-user-guideen.pdf

R.
    edited January 17
    ijonty said:
    Hi,

You don't *need* a audio isolator. Any PA you're plugging into will likely provide a DI Box which serves the same purpose.

You can always pick something later if you find you do have ground loop issues.
    True, you don’t *need* one but there are three good reasons why having one around is a good idea:

* You can’t always rely on other people to have one decent DI, let alone two (assuming a stereo option is desired)
    * DI boxes are generally designed for instrument level signals, the ART box is designed for line level, which is what we’re discussing here
    * With my audio-tech hat on - when a muso turns up with their own problem solver it’s quite impressive.

To clarify - ground loops aren’t the only potential issue. It’s entirely possible you could have a whole career without problems but if/when you do it’ll most likely be an interface one.

Don’t forget for the iTrack you will need mains power and a table sit it on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @shufflebeat I agree with all you say (I also wear an audio tech hat, and have a Pelicase full of Radial DI boxes :smiley:)

I was just making the point that it's not an essential initial purchase, and something the OP could add at any point in the future, if required.

R.
    edited January 18
    Agree (again) and appreciate your expertise.

[edit]

…and your input.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I'd suggest that, rather than running the dry vocal and the effected vocal from the iPad, that you use a simple XLR Y-split cable to send the clean vocal directly to the PA, bypassing the iPad, and use the iPad for the effected signal only. 

Despite our best laid plans, tech doesn't always behave itself. If your entire signal chain is through the iPad and it shits itself mid-gig, you've lost your lead vocal, which is a show stopper. If your main vocal signal is passively split before the iPad, then if the iPad goes down you still have the clean signal from your mic hitting the mixer and the show can continue.