FRFR for Kemper

What's Hot
So which FRFR are people using nowadays? I’m in the market for some and there’s so many options. Will be running an unpowered Kemper

Initial thoughts are a Yamaha DXR12 but don’t really like the form factor. The newish DHR12 looks good and co-axial? 

Has anybody got any experience with the Fender FR-12 at high volume? I remember using the small Laney one that sounded great but was very underpowered for my use. 

Had the Headrush and didn’t like them, sounded okay and were loud but flubbed out massively at gigging volumes.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3732
    I go direct to PA (these days it's a Helix live, but I have gigged my Kemper in the past) which is a pair of DXR12 mk i's.  I've also used an Alto TS210 to act as backline in the past.

PA type FRFR are fine and, in my opinion, better value than products designed to look like a conventional guitar cab, but they are better when mounted on a tripod stand rather than placed on the floor monitor style.  If you want to achieve the same volume as a conventional valve amp than you probably need to have around 10x the watts (about 20x if taking the 'peak' figure).  The DXR's are, from memory, around 500w continuous, so very roughly comparable with a 50w valve combo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9770
    Redsound were the best I tried, although the FR12 looks good (haven't played one).

If it is a powered Kemper head, I used a normal 1x12 (Zilla) with a new cream back and it sounded great.
  • Thanks so far! It’s an unpowered head and I go direct to FOH. I’m looking to use my FRFR for rehearsals and small gigs, as well as filling out the on stage sound. 

• nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1579
    You could go for a Kemper Kab, 
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 920
    I use two Redsound LG12 cabs and they’re the best FRFR that I’ve tried. I used to use a couple of DXR10’s and they were fine but nowhere near as good as the Redsound cabs. I’ve used mine with an unpowered Kemper, Axe FX 2 and an Amplifire 3 and they sound great with all of them.

My bandmate uses an FM9 with two of their angled 10” cabs and they sound excellent too.

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10434
    edited January 13
    The best FRFR solution I've ever used for a Kemper was the Matrix FR212 which is a lightweight 2x12. It sounded like an amp in the room. 

I am selling a Matrix NL212 which is also really good and light but not FRFR, just in case you're interested  
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2385
    I had a Yamaha DXR12, sounded good (well, very true to the Kemper sound), but was a heavy and quite noisy thing (lots of hiss). 

Got the Kemper Kab in the end, but haven’t been in a band situation since getting it, so can’t say for sure how well it holds up at those volumes, lovely bit of kit though, build in tilt stand is a great idea. 
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 211
    I’ve gigged twice since getting my fender fr12, I used to go into the Pa but ice been using it on its own and it’s held up very well, plenty of volume (2-300 person venues)

it also sounds bloody awesome, the we is really handy too :-) 
  • not sure which Laney one you tried but I certainly don't find the LFR112 underpowered
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• mrleon83 said:
    I’ve gigged twice since getting my fender fr12, I used to go into the Pa but ice been using it on its own and it’s held up very well, plenty of volume (2-300 person venues)

it also sounds bloody awesome, the we is really handy too :-) 
    Thanks, was wondering how it holds up with a full band 

• not sure which Laney one you tried but I certainly don't find the LFR112 underpowered
    It was the LFR112, I found it couldn’t cut it with a loud drummer and bass player 

It was the LFR112, I found it couldn’t cut it with a loud drummer and bass player 

wow.. our drummer is loud.. and I never have an issue..  that said I use it for backline and also send a signal to FOH; but I can certainly hear myself on stage, as can the bassist who resides at the side of the stage..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• uncledickuncledick Frets: 407
    I tried a DXR10 but it sounded dull and sterile. I now have a Kemper Powerkab on stage as a monitor with the FOH going via the desk. Really pleased and would buy another tomorrow.
  • Stueyc72Stueyc72 Frets: 0
    The best FRFR solution I've ever used for a Kemper was the Matrix FR212 which is a lightweight 2x12. It sounded like an amp in the room. 

I am selling a Matrix NL212 which is also really good and light but not FRFR, just in case you're interested  
    @TeleMaster, is the Matrix NL212 still for sale? 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10434
    Stueyc72 said:

@TeleMaster, is the Matrix NL212 still for sale? 
    Ah mate I sold it this weekend! Sorry. 
    Arrrrggghhh!  If only I had seen your message earlier  :/. Oh well, the search continues. Thanks. 
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 392
    I've got a Redsound LG12 for sale if that floats your boat...
    They seem more suited to modelling, just after a regular cab for either a tube or SS head. Have been down the modelling route and it took me a while to realise it wasn't a good fit with the band I play in. Thanks though. 
  • Bats_Bats_ Frets: 79
    I’ve got a LFR212 and it sounds incredible with the Kemper. 

I’ve got an MX5 too that I plan to try it with but I am totally in love with the Kemper. 

I’ve been a Line 6 or tube amp user forever and had a Helix for about 6 years but this Kemper is on a whole different level to my ears. 
  • BorkBork Frets: 260
    QSC K12.2 user here, great for guitar or bass.  I thought I might miss some warmth but not as much as I expected.

[This space for rent]