Blackstar HT5r making a bad weather noise.

EvadllewEvadllew Frets: 0
Hi,
I have a HT5r that is making what can only be described as the sound of bad weather outside when you are inside.
(This was the description given by another poster on a different site but describes the sound perfectly)
Anyway, I've gone through all of the usual changing valves etc and have traced the fault to something to do with the reverb circuit.
The sound is only in the right hand channel when listening through headphones. If I turn down the reverb all the way it goes away.
So for the last year or so this is what I have been doing just using the reverb on my multi fx unit.
However, I would like to get to the bottom of the problem and get it fixed.
So, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Evadllew
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1746
    Pretty sure that is going to be the Surface Mount Tech' reverb chip and changing that is not a job for the 'layman'. Contact Blackstar, their charges are still reasonable I think?

Dave.
  • EvadllewEvadllew Frets: 0
    Thanks ecc83,
    That was a quick response =) cheers.
    That's a shame I'll probably just continue with the reverb turned down :/
    Evadllew
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 576
    I'd suggest getting it fixed. My (somewhat limited fortunately) experience with Blackstars indicates they have a tendency towards creeping failures once things start to fall apart. It may only be one side of the DSP chip now but if the SMT parts are not well attached then you run the risk of other failures, some of which may be more consequential.

You should be able to get an exchange for the board from Blackstar for semi-realistic money. 
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Contact Blackstar Service (service@Blackstaramps.com) and the team can arrange a repair. 

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.