1-ply vs "multi-ply"

What's Hot
Pickguards.  Do you have a preference?  When would you rather want a 1-ply on your guitar as opposed to a "fancier" 3-ply?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 30228
    Never.

1-ply suits "basic" style guitars. Butterscotch Teles and so on. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3222
    Depends on the guitar
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • To be more specific, just asking about strats and teles! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    Depends on the guitar and the finish. Both are fine on the right guitar - eg a single-ply on a 50s-style 2-tone-burst Strat, and a 3-ply on a 60s-style custom colour Strat - but the opposite way round looks wrong.

What's not fine are cheap pearl or tortoise guards which are only three layers not four, so the back one is black not white.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • luckylucky Frets: 20
    Are we talking single ply as in just the one very thin sheet (not a fan) or something more substantial just without the multiple layers? Guess then there's the rabbit hole of curve, 90o or 45o angle to show/hide the multiple ply...

For me, I think it depends how fancy you want it to look. I like a nice single monochromatic but only if it's thiccck like the metal old metal ones 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7344
    tFB Trader
    4- and 5-ply are the best imo
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15283
    On four-ply 'guards, the angle of the edge bevel is evocative of specific Fender production periods. Some Sixties 'guards had a shallower bevel. This exposes more of the white and black layers.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I like my strat, which has a single ply guard on a reddy body colour. I like my Tele which has three ply too.

On balance, I like simple so 1 ply looks nice and clean. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7344
    tFB Trader
    On four-ply 'guards, the angle of the edge bevel is evocative of specific Fender production periods. Some Sixties 'guards had a shallower bevel. This exposes more of the white and black layers.
    Yes those. And Gibson BWBWB on Les Paul Specials and SGs
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4386
    1-ply torty on LP Jrs - multi-ply just feels out of place on them, the majority of the time