SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sorted. Anyone selling a KM184? Or a pair?

What's Hot
theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1476
edited May 3 in Studio & Rec £
Don’t really want to buy new. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3049
    Just curious - have you tried the Behringer B-5? They're recommended (with APE balls fitted) as a budget alternative to much more pricey mics for classical recording like the Neuman M50. I've got 5 but have not done any recording yet.

Sorry for the hijack :smiley: 

R.
  • @robinbowes No, never heard. I’ll take a look. Thanks. 
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 336
    Just curious - have you tried the Behringer B-5? They're recommended (with APE balls fitted) as a budget alternative to much more pricey mics for classical recording like the Neuman M50. I've got 5 but have not done any recording yet.

R.
    Is it safe to google APE balls?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1476
    edited February 4
    @Vintage65 I don’t know, but I do know I don’t want a Behringer. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3049
    Vintage65 said:

R.
    Is it safe to google APE balls?
    https://www.dpamicrophones.com/accessories/acoustic-pressure-equalizer-ball-for-4006
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Still looking. 
  • ryanverbenaryanverbena Frets: 434
    I once had a brand new pair of these stolen by some workers who my landlord at the time hired and gave access to our flat. They were amazing mics. 

Sorry that's no help! 
    No worries, @ryanverbena. I'm sorry you had 'em nicked! I couldn't find any, anyway so am just going to borrow a pair of NT5s.

Worth a shot. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2419

R.
    Recommended by whom?

That sounds a bit of a stretch tbh.

Stuckfast said:

R.
    Recommended by whom?

That sounds a bit of a stretch tbh.

He was replying to when I was asking for Oktavas - I changed the title to save starting a new thread. Not Robin's fault - all mine. 
  • lentolento Frets: 116
    I was after one of these a while back but didn't see any within my budget. I settled on a Beyer MC930 and AT 4051b. Both very good SMC's. I kept the Beyer ...
    lento said:
    I was after one of these a while back but didn't see any within my budget. I settled on a Beyer MC930 and AT 4051b. Both very good SMC's. I kept the Beyer ...
    Yes, I can’t find the 930 in budget either. Seems that they’re all very popular mics!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7787
    edited May 2
    I'm not personally a fan of SDCs but the line audio CM4 were a gearslutz favourite for years as well as the Josephson C42 at a higher price point.

I'm not personally a fan of SDCs but the line audio CM4 were a gearslutz favourite for years as well as the Josephson C42 at a higher price point.

Yeah, I’m not sure I’m a fan of the CM4. Mics feel a bit like pedals - need to try them before buying. But that’s rarely possible! 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7787

Yeah, I’m not sure I’m a fan of the CM4. Mics feel a bit like pedals - need to try them before buying. But that’s rarely possible! 
    Derailing a bit but why do you want a KM184 or other SDC? 

Derailing a bit but why do you want a KM184 or other SDC? 
    Recording a new acoustic album and have been using midside up until now. Want to try something different. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33810
    edited May 2

I use the C42's - I have a matched pair.
    I much prefer them to the KM184's.

Neumann really should reissue the KM84, much better mic.
    I find the 184 simultaneously a bit harsh but also a bit dull.
    But original 84's are stupid money now.

There are some mods you can get for the 184 but I don't have personal experience.

OP- check out the C42's.
    Also look at the Microtech Geffel M300- which is closer to the KM84, but less aggressive, warmer, rounder.

@octatonic Cheers. I’ll check those out. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33810
    @octatonic Cheers. I’ll check those out. 
    Have a read of this:

https://gearspace.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/123307-km184s-josephson-c42s.html

What Fletcher says is dead right.
    The C42's have a lovely high end, 10-12k.
    The KM184's are pushed in the 3k region which is why I think they sound harsh and dull- they don't have the sparkle of the C42's and I find 3k to be where guitars and vocals fight.