Parenting - The Fantasy Vs Reality

What's Hot

As my two boys approached school age I imagined them bringing me home works of paint and spittle genius and PVA and pasta masterpieces.  As it happens they just seem to bring home disease, germs and illness.  Every primary school badge should have to carry a bio-hazard symbol.

This week's special is a chronic throat infection with fever to be lived out over half term.  Happy days.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My boy is nearly 2 and since he's been going to nursery I cannot believe how ill we've all been.

I have never in my life had sickness and diarrhea bugs, they just don't affect me............ Until he came along

Now I pick up every nasty vomiting bug going and all the colds and flu etc etc too.

Apparently there is hand foot and mouth doing the rounds now. wtf is that all about.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nursery age toddlers are deadlier than an Al Qaeda terror plot.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2518
    1 in nursery, 1 in infants, 1 in juniors. Our house is like a bio weapons research facility.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4491
    It's shit isn't it. We were told to expect at least one illness a month for the first 3 yrs of nursery / school. Unfortunately it appears that was a conservative estimate. The thing that really pisses me off is when the kids are blatantly ill (not just a cold or cough, I'm talking hand, foot and mouth / chicken pox, stuff like that) and the parents still bring them to nursery etc. They are wankers. We found at our first daughters' nursery the woman who ran it didn't want to piss the parents off (and therefore potentially hurt her own pocket) by telling them their kid couldn't stay even though they were really ill. So everyone else suffered.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    CHRISB50 said:
    It's shit isn't it. We were told to expect at least one illness a month for the first 3 yrs of nursery / school. Unfortunately it appears that was a conservative estimate. The thing that really pisses me off is when the kids are blatantly ill (not just a cold or cough, I'm talking hand, foot and mouth / chicken pox, stuff like that) and the parents still bring them to nursery etc. They are wankers. We found at our first daughters' nursery the woman who ran it didn't want to piss the parents off (and therefore potentially hurt her own pocket) by telling them their kid couldn't stay even though they were really ill. So everyone else suffered.
    Spare a thought for us childless folk who have you endure your horrible brats diseases, and we can't escape because we work with you and you're bringing the filth into the office unknowingly every single day!!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31584
    GDINK.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Drew_fx said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Spare a thought for us childless folk who have you endure your horrible brats diseases, and we can't escape because we work with you and you're bringing the filth into the office unknowingly every single day!!

Not me. If I'm ill, I don't go to work. But I get what you're saying.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12881
    Headlice was the worst. Having two kids in different schools, we were guaranteed to have them almost constantly for about 5 years. Lovely. :-S
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I don't understand how kids bring home these illnesses. Why don't people get exposed to them elsewhere?
    My V key is broken
  • Your kids are a perfect Petri dish for growing disease to infect their parents... Plus at nursery they swap snot/dribble/whatever in a way that I REALLY hope no adult would.

(I've got a 3year old & haven't used this many tissues since I was 14!)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    The hyigene at some schools has to be questioned. My sons school has a strict policy on illness and children are sent home for 48 hour periods if they are ill. The number of bugs and infections he has contracted over the last 13 months since attending the school has gone down considerably. His previous nursery was constant runny noses and colds. Have a word with the school or nursery about general cleanliness and hyigene if it's a persistent problem failing that then it's clearly wanker parents to blame.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 567
    Spare a thought, having suffered with the above from my two kids, I now have my missus and my eldest working with the little angels and still bringing all this shit home!

• hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    Drew_fx;391779" said:
    CHRISB50 said:

It's shit isn't it.

We were told to expect at least one illness a month for the first 3 yrs of nursery / school. Unfortunately it appears that was a conservative estimate.

The thing that really pisses me off is when the kids are blatantly ill (not just a cold or cough, I'm talking hand, foot and mouth / chicken pox, stuff like that) and the parents still bring them to nursery etc. They are wankers.

We found at our first daughters' nursery the woman who ran it didn't want to piss the parents off (and therefore potentially hurt her own pocket) by telling them their kid couldn't stay even though they were really ill. So everyone else suffered.

I'm starting to think you protest too much about kids. Are you impotent or something? Sensing a bit of a complex coming through ;-)
    Use Your Brian
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx;391779" said:
    CHRISB50 said:

It's shit isn't it.

We were told to expect at least one illness a month for the first 3 yrs of nursery / school. Unfortunately it appears that was a conservative estimate.

The thing that really pisses me off is when the kids are blatantly ill (not just a cold or cough, I'm talking hand, foot and mouth / chicken pox, stuff like that) and the parents still bring them to nursery etc. They are wankers.

We found at our first daughters' nursery the woman who ran it didn't want to piss the parents off (and therefore potentially hurt her own pocket) by telling them their kid couldn't stay even though they were really ill. So everyone else suffered.

I'm starting to think you protest too much about kids. Are you impotent or something? Sensing a bit of a complex coming through ;-)
    Well Mark...

1; I was only responding to someone who was being a bit of an ass about other parents.
    2; If you actually go and do some research and quantify your statements, and generate some statistics from my posts, you'd find that in all likelyhood my anti-children posts are less than 2% of my posts. I've done it before to score points against the Cabbagey one, I'm not scared to do it to score points against Starvin' Markin' ;)
    3; My response was much less about anti-kids than it was anti-parents. I don't really enjoy it when parents put themselves on some kind of pedestal, like THEY'RE the perfect ones and everyone else is shite. But hey... carry on with the elitist thread folks! Enjoy yourselves!! :D
    PS: Impotency generally doesn't cause anti-kid or anti-parent sympathies. Rather the opposite, people who are impotent start to pine for kids the older they get and the closer to DEATH they get.

Comic sans. For your health! ;)
    Drew_fx said:
    Drew_fx;391779" said:
    CHRISB50 said:

It's shit isn't it.

Well Mark...

1; I was only responding to someone who was being a bit of an ass about other parents.
    2; If you actually go and do some research and quantify your statements, and generate some statistics from my posts, you'd find that in all likelyhood my anti-children posts are less than 2% of my posts. I've done it before to score points against the Cabbagey one, I'm not scared to do it to score points against Starvin' Markin' ;)
    3; My response was much less about anti-kids than it was anti-parents. I don't really enjoy it when parents put themselves on some kind of pedestal, like THEY'RE the perfect ones and everyone else is shite. But hey... carry on with the elitist thread folks! Enjoy yourselves!! :D

I'm stating my opinion on parents who take their kids to school / nursery when they aren't well enough to go. If a child is ill (and I don't mean a sniffle, I'm talking ill ill), keep them home. Same as if I'm ill, I stay at home. It's not elitist, it's common sense.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    CHRISB50 said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Drew_fx;391779" said:
    CHRISB50 said:

It's shit isn't it.

Well Mark...

I'm stating my opinion on parents who take their kids to school / nursery when they aren't well enough to go. If a child is ill (and I don't mean a sniffle, I'm talking ill ill), keep them home. Same as if I'm ill, I stay at home. It's not elitist, it's common sense.

Right.

And what I was saying is that as a parent, you are an incubator for all of those diseases, even if you feel perfectly fine, they're still swimming around in your system waiting to infect anyone who doesn't spend every single day with your spawn and is thus not immune and has no defense network against the strains coming out of your body.

You should be quarantined until the kid is 18. It's not elitist, it's just common sense!
  • It's the same with adults at work, though. Too many think it's macho coming to work ill which is total rubbish, in my opinion!

I'll probably never have kids of my own and already I'm wondering if I'll regret it - is it truly the secret to happiness as some of my friends suggest!?
    It's the same with adults at work, though. Too many think it's macho coming to work ill which is total rubbish, in my opinion!

I'll probably never have kids of my own and already I'm wondering if I'll regret it - is it truly the secret to happiness as some of my friends suggest!?
    If you're looking for "life on God mode" then have kids. It's the surest way to give your life meaning and substance. I actually really admire people who don't have and don't want kids. Me? I'm pretty sure I want them, just not yet.