Parenting - The Fantasy Vs Reality

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16465

I'll probably never have kids of my own and already I'm wondering if I'll regret it - is it truly the secret to happiness as some of my friends suggest!?

we never wanted kids, wasn't even discussed, just kinda knew it from the start (got dumped by a girl once cos I said I never wanted kids and she was desperate for them, shame in a way cos she was super hot, but she was also a complete mentalist, so probably just as well).

Had a bit of a pang when the cancer gone took her womb and it sunk in we would never have kids (though mrs f never did) but that passed quickly.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    edited October 2014
    Sorry to hear that, viz (what was your original reason for not wanting any? No regrets?). But all's well now and you're happy yeah? A close call from the mentalist... been there...! There are a few guys at work who've never had kids but they don't talk about it. To be honest I wanted to start a topic on it but felt it might be a bit too "realistic" or "mumsnet" for OT! I've a little sister who is 6 and she is hard work lol... my partner has kids (all grown up). It's just something I think about sometimes. 
    Drew - you admire those people? I think I want an easy life - retire early and play my guitar lots. I can barely afford to house myself never mind kids, too!

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    edited October 2014
    This is weird but one of my friends (rich parents, gets given £50k every two years,,put it that way!) has three kids and a house and his twin brother has been dying to start a family and have the same. He recently met some girl online and after 3 month of knowing her, they're now having a baby....!! :o His brother thinks this is great (maybe it is, but 3 months?) - says that this girl and kid will now "sort him out, make him a real man" - but I thought you had to be a real man before all that lol!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Hmm lessee...

headlice
    chicken pox
    impetigo
    ring worm
    whooping cough

colds and coughs are the norm,
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

As my two boys approached school age I imagined them bringing me home works of paint and spittle genius and PVA and pasta masterpieces.  As it happens they just seem to bring home disease, germs and illness.  Every primary school badge should have to carry a bio-hazard symbol.

This week's special is a chronic throat infection with fever to be lived out over half term.  Happy days.

when they're at secondary school they'll be coming home totally wasted..

so you won't know if they're ill or not.. it's a much quieter life..

play every note as if it were your first
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    Drew_fx;393232" said:
    hungrymark said:

Drew_fx;391779" said:CHRISB50 said:

It's shit isn't it.

We were told to expect at least one illness a month for the first 3 yrs of nursery / school. Unfortunately it appears that was a conservative estimate.

The thing that really pisses me off is when the kids are blatantly ill (not just a cold or cough, I'm talking hand, foot and mouth / chicken pox, stuff like that) and the parents still bring them to nursery etc. They are wankers.

We found at our first daughters' nursery the woman who ran it didn't want to piss the parents off (and therefore potentially hurt her own pocket) by telling them their kid couldn't stay even though they were really ill. So everyone else suffered.

Spare a thought for us childless folk who have you endure your horrible brats diseases, and we can't escape because we work with you and you're bringing the filth into the office unknowingly every single day!!

I'm starting to think you protest too much about kids. Are you impotent or something? Sensing a bit of a complex coming through ;-)

Well Mark...

1; I was only responding to someone who was being a bit of an ass about other parents.

2; If you actually go and do some research and quantify your statements, and generate some statistics from my posts, you'd find that in all likelyhood my anti-children posts are less than 2% of my posts. I've done it before to score points against the Cabbagey one, I'm not scared to do it to score points against Starvin' Markin' ;)

3; My response was much less about anti-kids than it was anti-parents. I don't really enjoy it when parents put themselves on some kind of pedestal, like THEY'RE the perfect ones and everyone else is shite. But hey... carry on with the elitist thread folks! Enjoy yourselves!! :D
    Easy fella, just pulling your leg :-)
    Use Your Brian
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    edited October 2014
    thomasross20;393521" said:
    It's the same with adults at work, though. Too many think it's macho coming to work ill which is total rubbish, in my opinion!

I'll probably never have kids of my own and already I'm wondering if I'll regret it - is it truly the secret to happiness as some of my friends suggest!?
    It makes you happy if you want kids. If you don't I'd imagine it could make you pretty fucking miserable.
    Use Your Brian
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12657
    I don't get paid for being ill, so I just go in anyway and do fuck all.

We've been lucky with our kids, 7&9, They've had chicken pox and headlice but besides that nothing. I like to think a junk free veggie diet has contributed to that but they could be just lucky, It will be a sad day when they rebel as teenagers and stuff themselves with Mcdonalds and KFC 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    worse if they eat that stuff in private and you don't get told.

Our eldest was a veggie for a while and appears to eat really well, but blocks the ustairs toilet with alarming regularity.

If there's ever a need for a fast underwater-setting putty that smells like wolf-bait.. he'll be made ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom