Strange out of phase issue - Gold Foil

What's Hot
photekphotek Frets: 1472
Popped a lovely Mojo Goldfoil in the neck position of my tele… of course it was out of phase.

Swapped the bridge pickup hot and ground and no sound at all from the bridge pickup, neck worked fine. Hmmm.

Swapped the bridge wires back and reversed the hot and ground on the gold foil. Perfect, in phase, sounding lovely…. Until I touched the cover of the gold foil which now buzzes like a bastard.

Swapped the GF wires back and no buzzing but out of phase.

What am I missing or do gold foil pickups need a specific polarity bridge pickup to pair with?!

Pic because it’s pretty:

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1520
    Did you disconnect the grounding wire to the baseplate of the bridge pickup before you swapped the wires around?   Sounds like you didn't and I think that would give you the no sound issue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1520
    btw, great looking Tele
  • photekphotek Frets: 1472
    Ahh, it doesn’t have a separate ground on the baseplate, assuming it’s combined with the normal ground wire. I guess that means I can’t use that bridge pickup in phase with the GF?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7952

You can swap the wires on the bridge pickup if you swap the wire that earths the base plate to the other wire.

httpsguitaranatomycomwp-contentuploads202305DSC00429-scaledjpg

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Ahh nice one, I will give that a go thanks both :+1: :+1: 
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2929
    Lovely Tele. Good luck. Great place this for such advice. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73359
    You either need to swap the ground connection on the bridge pickup baseplate to the other eyelet, or separate the ground from the pickup completely, with a separate wire.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11216
    tFB Trader
    People always seem to get in a fix with Tele baseplate earths. There is no real reason the coil start or finish wire needs to be connected to the baseplate at the pickup end ... apart from ease of manufacture and neatness. Just snip that short connecting wire and solder a nice new earth wire between a pot back and the baseplate ... job done. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Thanks all I will sort it tonight, funny that I haven’t stumbled across this before in all these years, lucky I guess.

I knew I could count on the forum to help :+1: 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32125
    People always seem to get in a fix with Tele baseplate earths. There is no real reason the coil start or finish wire needs to be connected to the baseplate at the pickup end ... apart from ease of manufacture and neatness. Just snip that short connecting wire and solder a nice new earth wire between a pot back and the baseplate ... job done. 
    That's probably safer than potentially overheating the eyelet solder too. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11216
    tFB Trader
    p90fool said:
    That's probably safer than potentially overheating the eyelet solder too. 
    Absolutely ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24004
    photek said:
    Swapped the bridge wires back and reversed the hot and ground on the gold foil. Perfect, in phase, sounding lovely…. Until I touched the cover of the gold foil which now buzzes like a bastard.
    Just to come back to that bit, the cover probably shares the (original) ground wire - like a Tele neck pickup.
    edited February 11
    All sorted, snipped the baseplate ground wire and replaced with one running to the back of the volume pot. Sounds superb and no buzzing when touching the Goldfoil.

Thanks very much everyone 1 :)