NIRLD

Yes, a new IR loader day for me. I have previously used on stage the Two Notes Torpedo CAB from my home studio, but ideally I wanted something with two outputs - one XLR (main out to PA) and one jack or XLR (monitor out to my IEM transmitter).

Enter the Sonicake [silly name] Sonic IR at less than £40 delivered from eBay. It meets my connectivity requirements and offers a selection of 9 guitar and 2 bass cab IRs via a rotary selector. It’s intended for always on-use so no foot switch. I’m using it with my RevivalDrive Compact as an amp sim.

The IRs on this unit that work best for me are the ones based on Vox, Fender and Marshall 2x12s (2, 3 & 4), and a Marshall 4x12 (7). You can also load your own IRs provided they are in exactly the right format, but tbh the included ones are fine, and there is always the risk of bricking the unit when trying to edit it.

I haven't gigged it yet but I've used it to play along with tracks at home. I’m very happy with the results, but being a cautious chap I am also part way through building an analog cab sim as an alternative or spare! Latency of the Sonic IR is said to be 9ms, and added to the 2ms from my guitar wireless it’s still undetectable to me.

Stock photo for completeness:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom