Ibanez Backstop

What's Hot
I quite fancy one of these but don't fancy paying $200 for one on eBay just because Gibson (that famous user of floating trem systems) owns the patent and stopped Ibanez making them.

Are there any alternatives?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    It's a bit out of date now, but there's a lot of good info here:

http://joe.emenaker.com/TremStabilizers/

Although personally, I think this one wins for cost-effectiveness :).

http://www.lonephantom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/20120204-183746.jpg

http://www.lonephantom.com/2012/02/the-4-tremolo-stopper/

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I just use lego bricks
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    Tremel-no is what you need!
  • Thanks ICBM for that link to the comparison review...looks like the Goldo Backbox is the answer. Still in production and available from Thomann for about 11 quid! Awesome!

Now, to tell my friend who just spent 200 bucks on a backstop :)

The Tremel-no and even Lego bricks aren't really the answer as they don't let you pull up on the trem.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    Jetfire said:
    Tremel-no is what you need!
    That's my least favourite one. You have to change the settings manually, it's fiddly and can make an odd vibrating noise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    edited October 2014
    ^ Yeah I found the tremol-no fiddly too. Also I found with the Gotoh Floyd Rose, the springs are quite tight on it and I couldn't get the drop-C thingy to fit (which lets you set it to dive-only) without limiting the amount of up-pull available (when it was set to fully-floating). You can pull up with the tremol-no, but only when set to fully-floating (i.e. the tremol-no isn't really doing anything) which I don't think is what gearaddict wants.

I haven't tried any of the others.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4264
    I have tried so many of these trem locks/blocks etc and I can't get on with them , that little "null" point where it starts/stops to function iyswim I can feel and hear, however some ppl swear by them , to each his own on these things i suppose