How many more times on BBC4

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16656
    boogieman said:
    There has been no new content produced for BBC4 for years now due to BBC cuts. So they keep recycling the same material and so on their rock/pop music night that's going to start seeming obvious after a while. 
    But Queen pretty much one of the biggest bands in the history of modern popular music, it's not hard to see it as a safe bet tucked into Friday night. 
    The problem is whoever is in charge of the Friday night repeats obviously doesn’t like anything heavier than Queen. Even then it’s more usually Carole King, Neil Diamond, Dusty Springfield etc etc. The Beeb must have other stuff in the can, where’s all the rock, metal, world music or jazz shows? 
    I guess some of it is choices but some of it will be licensing so they are drawing from a very small well now. Although I remember watching a Rufus Harley concert on BBC4 that I’ve never noticed repeated and I can’t imagine there is a lot of argument over the rights to show some jazz bagpiping. 
    Next Friday it’s country, the one after that folk and Irish music. Not doing a lot for me. 

I thought BBC4 was an interesting mix of low and high brow art, serious documentaries, innovation and now it is as @RocknRollDave says television for people who can’t work the iPlayer. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PjonPjon Frets: 332
    Led Zeppelin: In The Light, shown in four parts on SKY Arts. Hence, no iPlayer style replay option for Freeview punters such as I.

Not to worry. The series will be repeated again fairly soon. Which was pretty much the point of this Discussion to begin with.
    Curiously, this was made in 2008, so it's 16 years old already - and it shows - and I found the style of the first episode irritating and boring at the same time. I love music documentaries, have always enjoyed LZ but turned this off. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11669
    The reason that a lot of old stuff never gets repeated is due to rights issues. I don't know if the agreement from 1973 for some obscure band covers repeating it on non-terrestrial telly fifty years later when there's only one band member left and nobody's seen them since the millennium.

• snowblindsnowblind Frets: 576
    Aren't the beeb due for a rerun of OGWT by now? It been like, half an hour or something since the last time?
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5406
    Queen are the only fools and horses of music. People who claim to love them can only name a few classics and conviently forget the rubbish. 
    but the dross os the stuff people know, and and the killer songs are are the obscure ones. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13677
    Reverend said:
    Queen are the only fools and horses of music. People who claim to love them can only name a few classics and conviently forget the rubbish. 
    but the dross os the stuff people know, and and the killer songs are are the obscure ones. 
    Gives me a wonderful mental picture of Brian May sitting in a room full of money, crying into his hands "we chose the wrong singles..." :lol: 
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25003
    I'm not a big Queen fan, but I wouldn't think of them as a band who went through the old "we need something commercial for the single" process.  I'm sure there's some dross on their albums, but it wasn't (generally speaking) the singles.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3129
    My main problem is with Queen fans who claim they're the best rock band ever but own no other rock records. I don't mind the early stuff but they got progressively worse for me. Each to their own, though.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    During my rock-focused youth I tried hard to like them, but found most songs pretty boring I'm afraid, same with Deep Purple
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 660
    BBC 4 and Sky Arts channel have Queen documentaries and concerts of an overkill loop.
    Add that to adverts using Queen songs Queen fans must be in heaven.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13677
    Each to their own, though.
    Exactly.

The sheer level of anger surrounding the concept "I don't care for this band's music, but many others do..." continues to baffle me.  People who hate Coldplay... I mean how do you HATE Coldplay?  It's like hating white paint.

I like a bit of Queen.

I used to have a theory that we all have a "Queen tolerance" ... or QT.

A hardcore fan obviously has a high QT of anything upto 30 songs in a sitting.

My personal QT is about 10 - any more and I just want something else.  Get me pished up and I'll do Don't Stop Me Now on karaoke any day of the week though.

It's a bit like if you've eaten a whole tub of very theatrical, camp ice cream.

Show Must Go On is brilliant as well.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    I used to have a theory that we all have a "Queen tolerance" ... or QT.

A hardcore fan obviously has a high QT of anything upto 30 songs in a sitting.

My personal QT is about 10 - any more and I just want something else.  Get me pished up and I'll do Don't Stop Me Now on karaoke any day of the week though.

That's an interesting theory.  Not very long ago I listened to News of the World followed by Jazz, so I reckon that gives me a QT of about 24 (they might have been extended editions, but I'm not counting bonus tracks).

There are loads of Queen albums I've never heard all the way through, though.  And I think the only one I own is A Night at the Opera.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11669
    People who weren't around in the 70s think that Queen were all anyone wanted to hear in the 70s. That or Abba.

This is why music on the telly is too important to be left in the hands of those who weren't actually there. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    scrumhalf said:
    People who weren't around in the 70s think that Queen were all anyone wanted to hear in the 70s. That or Abba.
    And punk after 1976.  All other forms of music completely vanished for about two years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 6
    scrumhalf said:

This is why music on the telly is too important to be left in the hands of those who weren't actually there. 
    I remember lots of crap like The Carpenters, Brotherhood of Man and Max Bygraves style easy listening type stuff. And so many novelty songs! (Don Estelle and Windsor Davies just came to mind. Number 1 for 3 weeks in 1975, it says on wiki.) I don't think I actually heard a Queen or Led Zep song until the 80s, and certainly hadn't heard Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Hendrix or The Doors until I actively went out to buy them myself late 80s. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but we watched TOTPs, listened to the normal radio stations and my parents and relatives were buying were buying current music. 

I still have an allergic reaction to The Carpenters, Showaddywaddy and We'd Like to Teach The World To Sing!
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 576
    Careful. Next you will be dragging ELO and Supertramp into the discussion. Oh, wait a minute.....
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1551
    edited March 6
    snowblind said:
    Careful. Next you will be dragging ELO and Supertramp into the discussion. Oh, wait a minute.....
    I'll see you and raise you.
    Back in the 70s my parent's record collection consisted of Dennis Roussos, Nana Mouskouri, Kenny Rogers and Don Williams records. Julia Iglesias was the last word in latin cool and in some parts of the world as big as Elvis. Easy Listening sold by the metric tonne back then.

Such long player records were used on something called a "music centre" (although we did not have a home organ in the household).

Punk was something only glimpsed briefly on the front cover of The (soaraway) Sun (with a lady showing her breasts on the 3rd page - which was seen as perfectly normal by everyone).

You'd think as per Philly_Q's comment punk was everywhere but I guess that's like assuming everyone was dressing up like Austin Powers across the UK during the swinging Sixties.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    It's weird isn't it, people remember those times from very distinct perspectives.  That mid to late '70s period, some people associate it entirely with punk, but to other people it was the disco era and punk barely caught their attention.

Then move on a couple of years to 1979 and to some it's all about 2 Tone.  To me it's the New Wave of British Heavy Metal.

And all along many people were still listening to the Eagles and the aforementioned ELO and Supertramp.  And Meat Loaf.  And ABBA.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11965
    tFB Trader
    I am rather fond of Queen - in fact they were my favourite band growing up and was glad to have seen them a number of times with Freddie .
    I much preferred their earlier heavier output (first album I bought myself was Sheer Heart Attack) and will say that everything up to The Game was pretty great (a few whimsical songs here and there that some wouldn't like) and I did like Innuendo which was a bit of a return to form.

Live in their heyday they were simply superb (not a fan of the yellow jacket Freddie era, but anything before that was ace)
    I grew up against an early 70s glam rock explosion - so T Rex, Sweet, Slade (superb band) Bowie, so was a fan of larger than life overblown stage shows...was always a matter of time till I became a Kiss fan too . (and Rammstein nowadays).

I don't listen to them as often as I once did though but still enjoy the same things about them that I did then. But I am pretty tired of the number of documentaries about them with rehashed clips and nothing new to offer, so can sympathise with how oters might feel about it. It is lazy programming on behalf of TV companies in many ways.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    , Slade (superb band) 

Such a fantastically ugly band though! I mean there were lots of terrible haircuts and appalling fashion on people who looked like potato farmers but Slade really did outdo most bands in the ugly stakes. :D