Favourite guitar shops?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• pt22pt22 Frets: 385
    It’s a bit specific, but the Yamaha SoHo store is great for all types of musicians and genres. They are incredibly friendly and you can try anything without any pressure or hesitation. If you’re shopping Yamaha, it’s worth the trip. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1314
    Another vote for Music Street. Very helpful staff and interesting stock. 

Also wasn’t there a really great shop in Stratford upon Avon that everyone on here really loved? I can’t recall the name now though…….. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 281
    edited April 12
    I’m Kent also and there’s nothing down here.  

It’s been a long time but guitar village was a cool place to visit and is one of my favs and as mentioned before andertons is a fairly close drive to check out. 

Peach guitars store Is huge and great but the times I went was before Covid so no booking was needed.  Having to pre book sounds like a pain and an inconvenience…..

I generally just go Denmark street now and I prefer there for my guitar browsing.  Hanks/wunjo/reagent sounds all great people in those.  Not to keen on sixty and notoms staff…  Plus a few min walk you have maksguitars a great acoustic shop then you have Gibson store a couple min round the corner from there.  
  • willowillo Frets: 428
    edited April 12
    Across the North...

Leeds - very little. PMT has a reasonable selection of the obvious but they once tried to sell me a B-stock guitar on a 'discount' without telling me. Their list prices are higher than their online prices, they match if you ask. Their trade in values are extremely low ball also. I just don't get a great feeling. Northern Guitars has become a sort of bar, I can't say what their selection is like.

Manchester - I like Forsyth's - its a proper traditional music shop with grand pianos and the like. The guitar section has a nice selection of Maybachs and Eastman electrics. They're always happy to let you play and there are deals to be had.

North West - Sound Affects have always been a good retailer with a good choice and fair prices. Haven't actually visited the shop though.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1687
    willo said:
    Across the North...

Leeds - very little. PMT has a reasonable selection of the obvious but they once tried to sell me a B-stock guitar on a 'discount' without telling me. Their list prices are higher than their online prices, they match if you ask. Their trade in values are extremely low ball also. I just don't get a great feeling.
    That sums up my experience with that PMT too. And not too dissimilar from Gear4Music in York: horrible trade in values, and ridiculous B stock prices — like a £5 discount on a guitar with an obvious front body blow. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• AjayeffAjayeff Frets: 29
    I'm off to MusicStreet at the weekend...where's best for parking?
    The giant car park by Sainsbury’s 
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3582
    Ajayeff said:
    The giant car park by Sainsbury’s 
    Nice one…I’ve had a quick scope-out.

Last time I went we were just coming out of lockdown so it wasn’t busy at all.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10067
    pt22 said:
    It’s a bit specific, but the Yamaha SoHo store is great for all types of musicians and genres. They are incredibly friendly and you can try anything without any pressure or hesitation. If you’re shopping Yamaha, it’s worth the trip. 
    ^This. Very helpful and great to deal with.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4243
    Not a single one anywhere near me. Living in the south west sucks sometimes. 
    Two in Yeovil, one in Dorchester. Not great but 3 close is not bad.
  • ZappleZapple Frets: 98
    Zapple said:
    There’s a little car park on St Germain Street (and head in the back door - if that’s still possible). Otherwise Sainsbury’s car park.

Great, friendly shop.
    Thanks...this will be my second ever visit and, again, I have an xP* of 1.0 ;)

* Expected Purchase
    NGD????
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3582
    edited April 13
    Zapple said:
    Zapple said:
    There’s a little car park on St Germain Street (and head in the back door - if that’s still possible). Otherwise Sainsbury’s car park.

Great, friendly shop.
    Thanks...this will be my second ever visit and, again, I have an xP* of 1.0

* Expected Purchase
    NGD????
    Yeah...see my failed swapsies thread:
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/262061/wtt-my-collings-i-35-lc-for-your-i-30-lc

It got serious

Lovely guys...great shop (mind blowing wall of PRS!).