TheFretboard DIY Pedalboard Kits Gallery Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3416
    Mine is all ready for painting. What are people using to paint their wood? Would spray paint work ok?

I picked up the white primed wood from B&Q. I’m tempted to go white actually as I quite like the look!
    Spray can of Rust-oleum, picked up at the same time as the wood. Was a nice British racing green so figured it would be hard to go wrong. So far has cured well.
    Thanks. That was one of the reasons for asking really. Will the paint chip, get beer damaged when people in the front row fall over themselves etc!
    That had been my thought process exactly. No idea how it will last, but after 24-48hours and a decrease in humidity it felt pretty solid. I was of the opinion that anything marketed for furniture has to be reasonably hard wearing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 880
    edited May 21
    Due to my son's strange fascination with rusty cars, sorry, classic cars, we had an assortment of car spray paint which I used, I then applied a couple of coats of clear lacquer on top to make it more durable.

The key to rattle cans is not to apply too thickly - short bursts of paint from about 25-30 cm worked well for me, and then building it up with further applications if needed. Results can be seen in the first page of the thread, but I confirm that it's smooth and consistent with no runs. (Unlike.my guitar playing)
  • theimageofalltheimageofall Frets: 127
    I have some clear lacquer, so think I’ll pop a coat or two of that on top as well. Should do the job!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8093
    I suspect when I get around to mine it’ll be the leftover paint from the front door and a brush! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28014
    edited May 21
    TimmyO said:
    I suspect when I get around to mine it’ll be the leftover paint from the front door and a brush! 
    Absolutely as it should be.

Part of the idea when I came up with it was that you should be able to chuck together exactly the board you want with stuff you've got lying around in the garage. Honestly, the more ghetto and shonky it is, the better as far as I'm concerned. The only reason I put some effort into making the demo one for the stand look neat and tidy was because...well, my normal standard of workmanship would've attracted attention for all the wrong reasons :D
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • theimageofalltheimageofall Frets: 127
    I went for a satin black in the end. I'm really pleased with how it turned out, so thanks for including me in batch 2!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @theimageofall - nice, you can't go wrong with the classic look!
    <space for hire>
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28421
    Chatting to Lee over the last couple of days, he asked me what I'd done with my pedalboard kit.

Well, admission time, I've not taken it out on tour.   :3

Not yet.

Most of my playing time is sat at my desk, into my Helix Stomp, into interface, into DAW.  And it's a pita using the Helix on a desktop because the display isn't that visible in that setup.

So I made another set of pedalboard strips and a little angled plate to hold the Stomp.  With the Stomp to one side, there's enough room on the board for my favourite drive pedal (Keeley Oxblood), so everything I need and typically use sits neatly on the pedalboard.  I might fix a couple of pieces to the underside of the pedalboard ends to raise it up off the desk, and then the interface will sit underneath.  

Not finished yet - the wood is all still raw and untreated - and I'll probably stick a couple of edge pieces on both ends of the plate to keep the Stomp fixed in place.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 349
    Went for 600mm and Lidl's metal paint (as I had bought it a few weeks earlier)

Very pleased with the board, just have to work out what goes where and in which order. 

Thanks to @digitalscream ;

Nice Stealth look there. 

Red ones are better. 
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 349
    TimmyO said:
    Nice Stealth look there. 

Thanks.

I have used self adhesive magnetic strips to secure the pedals to the board. Looks better than velcro and good enough imo for home use

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    edited July 24
    I finally made a start to the kit. Lifes been hectic lately and it has sat here still as it arrived. Until today. 

Popped down to b&q after work to buy the timber. I went for the plain wood variant. 

Bit big though tbh. 

Cut one of the strips down to size. 18" each which makes for about a 16" wide useable area once complete. 

A quick mock up: 

Sanded the edges off to make them more rounded: 

Drilled the holes. I used a 2.5mm bit.

Very rarely do I get to use this.. bought it about 5 years ago and its seen use about 3 times! 

Then colour scheme.. 

I decided to go Orange and black.. I had the idea to make a small pedal board for my small Orange crush amp which I take over the girlfriends, and have it all match.. 

First coat went on. Typically it started raining on me at this point so I packed all the electrics away as I was done with them anyway and moved inside to continue!

Next I sprayed the blue Fretboard plaque black to give it a solid basecoat: 

I'll then spray it orange and it will be glued in to place.

Stained all the other strips with a first coat. Doesnt look very orangey in the pic but it will get better with a second coat. 

Tomorrow I will give the wood a second coat, maybe a third if I get time and leave it to dry overnight. 

I'll then spray the screws orange, and clear coat varnish the wood with some varnish I use on my arrows which should give it a slightly deeper glossier look. 

I'm undecided about the velcro situation at this point but I'll figure it out once the wet stuff is done. 

I'll post back with updates as I progress!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @skunkwerx - nice! Only thing I'll say is that you might need to sand the tFB logo plate down a bit, it could be a very tight fit with a few layers of paint on it.
    <space for hire>
    @skunkwerx - nice! Only thing I'll say is that you might need to sand the tFB logo plate down a bit, it could be a very tight fit with a few layers of paint on it.
    Thanks bud, I shall keep an eye on it :) 

Cheers for making these boards mate, really appreciate it!
    That will look ace 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    That will look ace 
    Cheers bud! 
    edited July 25
    Tonight I did some more. 

3rd coat of orange went on. 

Then I decided to make a logo type thing.. I really don't know why I follow these artistic intrusive thoughts as I rarely have the skill to execute them..  but I sprayed a black oblong on the back piece.. 

Then added my signature, the year and an arrowhead logo with a gold paint pen.

I wish the arrow head was at a 45 degree angle but.. first time no re takes haha.. 

I then had another stupid idea that looked great in my head but the execution let me down.. lol. Sprayed a section of the top slat black. 

At this point I chucked it together without screws again to see how it is looking so far.. 

I tried to write Skunkwerx in the black section I sprayed but it came out like a 5 year old did it..  but oh well, I'll own it. 

Still need to stain the inner back slat. 

Tomorrow I'll do the rest of the staining, spray theFretboard plaque orange and glue it on, then orange up the screw heads and wait for it all to dry and then clear coat varnish it... 

Looks a lot more orange in lower light than it does in direct light, but its ok. 

Almost there!
    That's looking excellent, mate! I always figured the rear slat was perfect for a band logo or similar design, so it's great that you've done that :)

I was going to put a proper tFB logo on the demo one, but I figured it was a bit redundant with the logo plate.
    <space for hire>
    That's looking excellent, mate! I always figured the rear slat was perfect for a band logo or similar design, so it's great that you've done that :)

I was going to put a proper tFB logo on the demo one, but I figured it was a bit redundant with the logo plate.
    Thanks bud :) yeah I agree! The space there was calling out for something, and I was looking around for any old amp badges I may have still had but in the end thought I'd give the above a go.
  • rickd2112arickd2112a Frets: 51
    Can anyone tell be the dimensions of the end supports? I'd like to know the depth and how high the front and back are.