Influx of ladybugs/ladybirds ?

What's Hot
underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
edited October 2014 in Off Topic
Anyone else? down on the south Wales coast and today I have swarms of ladybugs outside, and hundreds over the Windows.

I remember about 20 years ago there were so many around one day that every lamp post and railing was covered in a layer of them.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Human Slaves, in an Insect Nation!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16465

guess mags must've had a holiday in Thailand and brought a load back.

oh wait, you said bugs, sorry, as you were.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    It's odd as a child l always called them ladybirds, now my wife has conditioned me to call them ladybugs over the years
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    underdog said:
    It's odd as a child l always called them ladybirds, now my wife has conditioned me to call them ladybugs over the years
    Is she an american?
    not_the_dj;394790" said:
    underdog said:

Is she an american?
    English sadly :D

• I've always called those little red flying beetle-y things with spots on "ladybirds". Why would there be another name for them (apart from their latin "scientific" name)?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Phil_aka_Pip;394811" said:
    I've always called those little red flying beetle-y things with spots on "ladybirds". Why would there be another name for them (apart from their latin "scientific" name)?
    Not sure, but ladybugs is far closer to accurate I guess :D

Ladybugs actually makes more sense to me, as they're certainly bugs and not birds.

Still I call them Ladybirds, and the publishing industry agrees.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Some people do call them ladybugs. That they're wrong and that the rhyme doesn't scan as well is little comfort. Always nice to see them though, we don't get enough round here. They're considered lucky, but maybe suffocating underneath them is going a bit far.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I could do with a couple, Achilli plant I got from Tesco is covered in aphids.
    My V key is broken
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    We get inundated by swarms of them every year at around this time.  I've probably got probably about 20-30 so on my window as I type this.  It started about five years ago, when I came home to find my lounge absolutely crawling with thousands of them, and they return every year at about the same time.  The main swarm seems to have started to prefer my neighbour, as I regularly hear him swearing and cursing about them. :))

They're the weird foreign type which drive my cat mad as they're pretty much inedible and hard to squish effectively.  This does not make for a happy feline.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom