Turning a regular 1x12 cabinet into a FRFR?

What's Hot
Has anyone here successfully turned their 'normal'1x12 cabinet into a FRFR by swapping to one of Celestion's FRFR drivers?

This one, for example: https://celestion.com/product/f12-x200/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 657
    Yes, I used a pair of the X200s as a stereo pair in a Hughes & Kettner 2x12
    They sound OK at home volumes, I suspect they would sound better with more volume. The "tweeter" can be a little harsh on transients, and like all FR cabs don't appreciate power amp distortion. I suspect that this is the source of the harshness - need more headroom.
    I really can't decide if these or monitors sound better. My monitors are reference so in theory should be totally flat, the H&K cab sounds nothing like them but not comparing apples...

I went with the x200s as I also send a guitar synth through the same setup and got a touch obsessed with the frequency response. In hindsight the 150 variant would probably have been fine.

And rather than a single stereo cab, I thing two single cables would give a better separation.

If I'm totally honest I prefer the sound of IEMs as they're consistent wherever my ears are physically in a room which obviously isn't the case with speakers.

I've recently put the 150 variant in a Monacor 1x12, and that also seems to work, needs more testing though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6477
    Excellent - thanks for sharing.

I had wondered if FRFR speakers really ought to be wedges as opposed to normal guitar cabs, with so much energy directed at the floor. Kemper adds the tilting stand thing to the Kabinet - presumably for that reason. And we always put monitors at desk level or higher.

Might give one a try.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 657
    The 2x12 is on an angled amp stand so not a million miles away from the wedge concept