SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Modern Country Vocalist/Collaborator wanted - Edinburgh

What's Hot
AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 221
edited March 23 in Personnel
Hey all,

I'm an Edinburgh based guitarist.  I'm wanting to find a musical collaborator who's hopefully a singer.  I've been listening to a lot of Modern Country recently and would like to start a band.

Somebody who wants to gig covers and write originals.  Thinking enough covers to get gigs, but write orginals as we go...  I'm bored stiff of just doing covers.  I've played many of usual venues in the area Whistle Binkies etc.

Or if anybody might know of someone locally?

Have been listening to stuff like Eric Church, Lee Brice and Morgan Wallen recently.   

Thx!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16339
    Hi ,
    I'm not local (London ) and I'm not applying for the role but I'm a huge modern Country fan and player ......I've tried a couple of times to get a Country band off the ground and found it quite difficult .....I'm sure it's the easiest thing in the world if you live in Nashville .
    I'm really just curious about your progress ,line-up etc ....will you have a pedal steel player ? ;I found you just can't get the vibe or the sound without and they're not so easy to find .I know a fair bit about modern country in terms of artists,songs etc
    I've had a go at writing originals and lyrics but never been able to really get it off the ground.In my last band we played a bit of Dierks Bentley and a bit of Midland and some Garth Brooks.
    People have some quite different ideas about 'modern country ' rangeing from semi-pop to a raunchy modern major blues somewhere between country and Southern Rock or a Taylor Swift ballad.
    Don't know if you listen to Midland but they would be my mind's eye view of my ideal' country ' band .
    If not , listen to their tracks "Make a little ", "Drinkin'Problem " or "Burnt Out " ......if that's your kind of thing maybe we could bounce some ideas off one-another although not sure how we could do that .
    Just for a laugh ,you might listen to "Hot Water pipe " by David Ball .....it's a cheesy , Alan Jackson style song but wherever we did this as a cover it went down brilliantly . The take-away lesson from it ,from a writer point of view is that country upbeat 'humour/irony lyric thing that all the best Country songs seem to have ......like "5 O'clock somewhere " or "All my exes live in Texas .....that's why I hang my hat in Tennessee "
    Interested to know your thoughts .
    Best of luck,
    Dom.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 221
    edited April 9
    Hey @Dominic,

Cheers for the message. I’m wanting to find a singer first and go from there.  Because I feel a decent vocalist will have a massive influence on the direction. So I’m keeping an open mind to leave space for it.

Ideally the singer would play acoustic. But if not maybe another guitarist who’s a utility person. Maybe someone who could play acoustic, electric and maybe slide. Fiddle works well on some stuff too. I quite like Country with a Scottish accent if done right.

I've been listening a mix of modern stuff so far like Lainey Wilson, Eric Church, Bailey Zimmerman and some Wallen Morgan. But I love anything that’s American roots based. I’m trying to avoid the pub rock Fulsom Prison and Sweet Home Alabama approach.

Had a listen to Midland. Nice sound! Love hot water pipe too.

So far I’ve had a lots of replies on Facebook. Some real talent but a few people have flaked out before even meeting up lol.

Edinburgh doesn’t really have a country Scene. It’s all Jazz and Neo Soul here. But Glasgow is way more exciting and it’s not that far.
     I worked on an original a few years ago that came out alright. But this is more traditional than looking to do now.

https://piperlynch.bandcamp.com/track/dead-beat-dan
    Andy ,
    That was great .......really good ......very Nashville type sound .
    I realise that arrangement is everything ......a pedal steel would thicken that sound so well and the break is screaming for it.
    Vocals were very good ........I think it's very hard to make them sound right if you're not actually an American Country Girl and those vocals sounded very convincing .
    What a shame we don't live closer !
    Great tele sound , by the way, and neat playing 
    Dominic said:
    Thx. Believe it or not that’s a Les Paul. My tele was out of action at the time.
    Yes she’s an incredible singer, lovely to work with as well.
    AndyJP said:
    Dominic said:
    Thx. Believe it or not that’s a Les Paul. My tele was out of action at the time.
    That's my ears for you !........v crisp sound for a LP
    would love to hear more of your stuff 
    Might even treat you to one of my Country Compositions " Getting up to Pee ,Going Down for a drink " ( I think that's age inspired ) or,
    " First out the Truck , last into the Bar "........inspired by a frugal friend who has perfected the art of freeloading when going out with his mates .
    I'm a sucker for those 'pun' type country titles ........not exactly "Whiskey Lullabye " 
    Yes, I really like "Hot water Pipe " .....when people catch on it's an easy win gig cover that gets a chorus singalong when you play somewhere fairly regularly........you can get a good solo out of it too 
    Keep on keepin' it Country !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Some good song titles there!
    Some good song titles there!
    So good you named it twice ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom