Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

do I have a case RE refusing sons school detention

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16656
    I had something similar with Eric Jr. I had to go see the head, made me so nervous going to see a head teacher. Anyway, got it sorted and the threatened punishment never happened.
    Can't see they would have a leg to stand on excluding him for your refusal to allow him to stay for detention.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    ICBM said:
    State school or private school?
    state all boys
    Not sure if the rules are different in England now but in Scotland you would have nothing to worry about at all. A state school cannot simply exclude a pupil even temporarily without very good reasons, and permanent exclusion will involve several levels of escalation if the initial problem is not resolved. It doesn't sound like the teacher has followed any proper procedure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

I taught music for a year in a secondary state school that had a good reputation, and was within a well-to-do catchment area.

It put me of kids for life, had I not already have raised a family, I would have had the snip then and there.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think it is en-masse punishment by western infidel teachers like this that drives youngsters into the hands of terror training organisations.  If I were you I would confiscate his passport, check your credit card bill for any tickets to Syria and ban him watching Al Jazeera for the next couple of weeks.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    The innocent always pay for the guilty, that is a fact of life.  He can take it as his first life lesson.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Sambostar said:
    The innocent always pay for the guilty, that is a fact of life.  He can take it as his first life lesson.
    Not taken your valium today Sam?
  • I agree with Sambostar here and think parents make too much of what goes in school. Gives your kids the wrong impression.
    Some parents think it is just a childminding service, others are going into school over trivial things like this too often , and in both cases there is a danger of instilling a level of disrespect for authority that seems to be prevailing today.
    No disrespect meant to your personal situation ,but I sit next to a father that is going into school all the time to complain. I have three grown up kids, one who is a teacher.
    She tells me " love the kids,hate the parents". These things have to be seen in perspective.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    I think the fact that every authority we have has skeletons in their closets, and act like massive hypocrites, liars, and cheats.... I think that might have more to do with why there is disrespect for authority.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Or is it that all levels of our society the consequences of our actions are no longer at the correct level.
    The danger in our schools is we are starting this attitude at a young age.
  • Or is it that all levels of our society the consequences of our actions are no longer at the correct level.
    Does that mean that they ever have been?
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    I'm a teacher and have tried the whole class detention thing. Doesn't work. There will be no lord of the flies type repercussions. Good kids are good because they just want to get on and stay out of trouble, not rise up against the rebels. They'll also probably end up distrusting the teacher because they'll see it as he can't be bothered, or worse, is too scared, to single out the trouble makers.
    This is roughly why I didn't become a prefect at school, we had a few times when the entire year group was given a talking to about things such as the tidiness of our study room which veered into "a disgrace to your families" and "how were you brought up" territory. As most of the people there had nothing to do with the things we were being harangued about I decided I didn't want to have anything to do with school discipline in my last year. Might have been considered a mistake from a UCAS point of view, but it turns out spending your free time reading rather than wandering bored around hallways is a good thing.
    edited October 2014

Sometime in the future, when he gets older, he'll be driving around in his Transit, trying to make 2 quid a day, working an 80 hour week in an valiant but impossible attempt to pay his 40 grand a month rent, having paid 2 grand for having to get a tacho fitted and some 600 for an operators licence and 20k a year for a yard, as with an operators licence, he won't legally be able to keep his transit at his home.  Being a responsible chap, he will also be paying for his waste carriers every three years.

Now, one day he'll see an illegal immigrant pikie tipping his load down some track somewhere, in a stolen and uninsured Transit with stolen number plates that actually link to a Ford Ranger should the police bother to check the ANPR system, in clear site of the police, a VOSA man and an EA man on a stake out.  The Agencies representatives will do nothing as they'll be too scared and the police will look onwards with a chastised expression knowing they can't touch him due to EU ethnic protection law.

Then, after the illegal has contently driven off, having made his wages for the day with zero overheads, the VOSA man will approach him and issue him with a three million pound fine for having a cracked mirror, caused by the pikie clipping him and impound his transit at the side of the road, then the police man will approach him and demand he show his insurance documents, as he renewed two days prior, his insurer after still not having bothered to update the registry, will show as uninsured and he will get a ban on a technicality. then finally the EA man will walk over to him and fine him another two million for dropping a micron of cow manure off the back of his transit.

And he'll stand back in contemplation and think to himself...hmmm...I'm sure glad I learned early that the innocent pay for the guilty.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I was kicked out of school at 16 with straight A's.  Prefect?  Those gaylords?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    Drew_fx;395382" said:
    I think the fact that every authority we have has skeletons in their closets, and act like massive hypocrites, liars, and cheats.... I think that might have more to do with why there is disrespect for authority.
    Every human has skeletons in their closets, and at some point acts like a massive hypocrite, liar and a cheat. Expecting 'authority figures' to behave any differently is pretty retarded. Accept that they'll make mistakes and judge them on how they respond.
    Use Your Brian
    Not me., I'm perfect, but I hate everybody, so I probably wouldn't be a very good candidate.
  • That's shocked me.  Aside from Vim naturally I would have put Sambostar absolute top of the list of forumites most likely to have actual skeletons in their actual closet.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bugger, I thought he meant metaphorically.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    My kids have had a few unjust detentions over the years. I don't get involved, it's just an hour max. School is a weird place that you just have to get through.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Suck it up.

I had a very long telephone conversation with the headmaster of my son's school a while ago about something similar, where he was not involved in an incident, but still got punished. Despite my best efforts, my unassailable logic and evidence made no difference whatsoever.

They close ranks, and short of you turning up with an AK47, you won't move the bastard teachers.