Anyone got a Mexican Jimi Hendrix Strat?

What's Hot
photekphotek Frets: 1507
edited March 24 in Guitar
Trying to figure out the neck depth and the Fender description of C-Shape is a little lacking!

Would like to know the depth at the first fret (headstock side, just before the first fret!) and if has any shoulder.

Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 622
    edited March 24
    I have the MIM ultra violet one. Can check it out tomorrow night if someone hasn't sorted you out in the meantime
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1507
    Thanks very much, only reference I can find is 0.820’’ but I’m sure the one I tried a while back felt quite a bit bigger than that.
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 660
    The Jimi Hendrix Strat that used to hang on the wall of the London Hard Rock Cafe in the mid 70s had a nice thick rounded baseball bat neck on it.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ok. The hendrix has seen the light of day for first time in 4 to 5 months. Might just keep it out forgotten how nice it is.
    Measuring  the thickness of neck at te centre of fretboard to the back is 0.905 that is with the caliper up against the first fretwire.  No shoulder.
    Neck is a C profile and wouldn't say thicker than normal. Feels same as std usa/mim. Nothing like my kotzen which has a bigger neck but nothing like a beck

Interestingly for what is a 60s guitar it has a 9.5 radius board

Hope this helps. If I can help further just holla and I'll try get you where you need to be

For ref the 65 pups on these are real nice

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    bazxkr said:
    Ok. The hendrix has seen the light of day for first time in 4 to 5 months. Might just keep it out forgotten how nice it is.
    Measuring  the thickness of neck at te centre of fretboard to the back is 0.905 that is with the caliper up against the first fretwire.  No shoulder.
    Neck is a C profile and wouldn't say thicker than normal. Feels same as std usa/mim. Nothing like my kotzen which has a bigger neck but nothing like a beck

Interestingly for what is a 60s guitar it has a 9.5 radius board

Hope this helps. If I can help further just holla and I'll try get you where you need to be

For ref the 65 pups on these are real nice

Thanks very much for that, it sounds a lot deeper than I was expecting which is a good thing. Glad the 65’s are decent, they do sound nice on the YouTube clips.

Now on to the next challenge of finding a light weight white one!

Thanks again.
    No worries good luck with the hunt. If I come across one I'll drop you a link
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20535
    I did wonder if you were after one of the rarer authentic Gibson Hendrix Strat's...
    I did wonder if you were after one of the rarer authentic Gibson Hendrix Strat's...
    I already got one.. from a chap in Essex funnily enough.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20535
    Lol/Wiz...
    photek said:
    I already got one.. from a chap in Essex funnily enough.
    And it wasn't from ne lol  nothing wrong with Essex once we get roads and electric we will roll haha
  • SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 756
    I have one of the violet ones, and the neck on it is lovely; I'd call it a shallow C, but then I know nothing about neck profiles by name, I just go by how they feel. It's one of my all-time favourite Strat necks, for what that's worth.
    I have one of the violet ones, and the neck on it is lovely; I'd call it a shallow C, but then I know nothing about neck profiles by name, I just go by how they feel. It's one of my all-time favourite Strat necks, for what that's worth.
    Agreed. Do you find the 65 pups bright or is it my old ears. Once I roll a bit of the tone knob down I hit that sweet spot
  • SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 756
    bazxkr said: Do you find the 65 pups bright, or is it my old ears?
    They sounded pretty good to me, although I stuck a set of Iron Gear's Pig Iron Overwounds in after a while because I'd put those in another Mex Strat and they just killed. The acoustic tone of the guitar is absolutely on point, regardless; I have this theory that if an electric guitar sounds good unplugged, it'll sound good plugged in no matter what the pickups are - all any pickup can ever do is amplify what the strings and the wood are already doing, after all. I wish I could get my hands on a few more of those necks to stick on some of my other Strats, they're comfortable as fuck to play and the reverse CBS-style headstock is just vibe central :)  
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2769
    @photek Sound Affects have a used one listed - I'm sure they'll be happy to tell you the weight - might be worth a look

Jimi Hendrix Stratocaster in Olympic White, Pre-Owned | Sound Affects

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1771
    Now that you've had proper,  good answers I can chime in with:

Santana usually plays PRSi, and the odd Yamaha. Ho Ho.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong