Red Sound LG-12 Repair

I’ve been using two of these as my backline for a few years with great results. A couple of weeks ago one of them lost about a third of its volume and the tone became muddy. I suspect the tweeter has blown but it’s a dual concentric speaker so not sure if that’s even possible?

I contacted G66 who are the current UK distributors but they can’t help because it’s an old model. I’ve also emailed Red Sound but they haven’t responded.

The speaker is well out of warranty so if anyone knows of a UK service centre or even a decent tech in the North who could take a look at it, I’d be grateful.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweavesweave Frets: 67
    I dont know the specifics of the Redsound but dual-concentric speakers are often set up with a crossover and two amps. Problem could be in either of these rather than a blown speaker unit
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 924
    That did cross my mind and I definitely need a licensed service centre or a good tech.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 2039
    I very much doubt that the issue is anything to do with the concentric driver - much more likely is the Power Amp / Crossover circuit that drives the speaker / tweeter. I had an LG12 a while back, if I recall correctly, the Power Amp / Crossover is all located on a single circuit board. It used standard components (no surface mount stuff / it's not an ICE Power Module)  and would `be easy to service....providing that you had the circuit diagram. That's what RedSound would need to provide a UK based tech.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 924
    Thanks @exocet, that’s helpful. I received an email from RedSound this afternoon so looks like I might be able to sort this out eventually.