Grace Bowers

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28678
    edited April 29
    The only things she seems to do on that song is play the solo. Does she sing normally?
    Not that I'm aware of, which is fine if her band consists of the right people. 

Derek Trucks doesn't sing. And god knows we'd all be better off if Bonamassa didn't... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 576
    edited April 29
    My first thought was "why is a 17-year old girl into old man blues rock noodling?"
    Everyone has to start somewhere. Once she grows to the point that her style and playing become recognisable sufficient to stand out from the crowd then she can consider it a job well done. Only gets harder as time goes on though. There are fewer innovations to be made and much is only refinement of what has come before.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4498
    The only things she seems to do on that song is play the solo. Does she sing normally?

Derek Trucks doesn't sing. And god knows we'd all be better off if Bonamassa didn't... 
    And it didn't hurt the Jeff Beck Group either. I wonder how much band leading and writing she does...very impressive if she's making it all happen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Lewy said:

And it didn't hurt the Jeff Beck Group either. I wonder how much band leading and writing she does...very impressive if she's making it all happen.
    Or Van Halen...!! 
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1688
    Rig Rundown:

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18303
    tFB Trader
    Lewy said:

The credits of the song suggest it's co-written by the whole band.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7214
    So she's basically Marc Ford...
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1164
    soma1975 said:

I think Marc Ford plays rhythm too though.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25001
    soma1975 said:
    Marc Ford did a lot more than that in Burning Tree.
  • BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 303

As opposed to abnormally?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6931

I bet Trucks would have a decent voice if he gave it a go. 

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7214
    edited April 29
    soma1975 said:

I think Marc Ford plays rhythm too though.
    Barely when I saw him. He sort of has my dream job. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4903

Saw a few videos a while ago, thought ahe sounded great.

Also really liking Muireann Bradley at the moment.  He guitar playing is great but she’s got a really nice voice as well and really delivers those old songs by people like Blind Blake in just the right way.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25001

And it feels like Trucks is the leader of his band.  In that video Grace Bowers looks like a 17 year old kid sitting in with somebody else's band.  Which is fine, that's probably exactly what she's doing and there's nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't feel like it's her record.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1164
    Philly_Q said:

And it feels like Trucks is the leader of his band.  In that video Grace Bowers looks like a 17 year old kid sitting in with somebody else's band.  Which is fine, that's probably exactly what she's doing and there's nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't feel like it's her record.

To be fair to Bonamassa, his voice is really not bad, it's just that he's singing songs that don't suit it.

This Grace Bowers Band is a marketing effort. She's young, got some talent for playing solos (and clapping), is camera friendly and seems like a nice girl who will probably do well, but it feels 200% fabricated.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11851
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:

To be fair to Bonamassa, his voice is really not bad, it's just that he's singing songs that don't suit it.

This Grace Bowers Band is a marketing effort. She's young, got some talent for playing solos (and clapping), is camera friendly and seems like a nice girl who will probably do well, but it feels 200% fabricated.
    So it didn't take us that long to get to the 'is camera friendly' bit. That's a statement that just wouldn't be made about a male artist. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:

Everyone who has ever been successful is fabricated. Sometimes by themselves, sometimes with 10 million dollars in support from a label. But EVERYTHING is fabricated. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

So it didn't take us that long to get to the 'is camera friendly' bit. That's a statement that just wouldn't be made about a male artist. 

She's pretty, which won't hurt her. Gary Clark Jr and John Mayer are also decent looking humans. That won't have hurt them either. Frankly these days it's hard for funny looking folks to get any level of success in music - it's not like the 70s any more! 

At least noone's arguing that she's only getting traction because of it - I don't think there's any real suggestion she isn't a fantastic guitarist, even if some don't love what she's doing with it
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11851
    tFB Trader

She's pretty, which won't hurt her. Gary Clark Jr and John Mayer are also decent looking humans. That won't have hurt them either. Frankly these days it's hard for funny looking folks to get any level of success in music - it's not like the 70s any more! 

At least noone's arguing that she's only getting traction because of it - I don't think there's any real suggestion she isn't a fantastic guitarist, even if some don't love what she's doing with it
    If you were a female artist in the early 70s you stood zero chance if they weren't attractive and played the industry 'game'. Punk changed that a bit, but not much. Female artists still face scrutiny way above and beyond their male counterparts. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

If you were a female artist in the early 70s you stood zero chance if they weren't attractive and played the industry 'game'. Punk changed that a bit, but not much. Female artists still face scrutiny way above and beyond their male counterparts. 
    Yes, probably. I wasn't there but I'm well aware of how most dude-bands looked....