SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: 2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio '50s tribute, worn gold top.

What's Hot
martmart Frets: 5213
edited October 2013 in Guitars £
This was a special edition commissioned by Thomann in 2010/11, with 490/498 humbuckers instead of the P90s that the regular '50s tribute had. This is from the first batch, and features a solid rosewood fingerboard, not the laminate or baked-maple of later versions, and it has a light back. Other than that, the spec is as described on the Gibson page.

The "worn" gold finish actually looks fairly new, just less glossy than a straight goldtop, but probably all the better for that. The body is chambered mahogany with a maple cap, and the guitar weighs around 7lb. Comes in the Gibson gigbag, as pictured. The neck angle is a little steep, so the tailpiece is a little high off the body. Although it wasn't a problem, I've fitted the Faber studs that allow the tailpiece to be more firmly locked to the body. But the original studs will be included, in the gigbag pocket.

Here are a couple of photos, but you can find more on my photobucket account
The overall condition is almost perfect: it being a thin nitro finish there are a few tiny, tiny dings - these are in the photos, but good luck spotting them - they really are minute.

Given the rosewood board and the near-perfect condition, I'd like £420 + postage for this beauty.
(Edited Oct 10th for another price drop)
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5213
    Bump for a price drop, and to point out that this has a nice big '50s profile neck. Probably not good if you've got tiny hands, but great for the rest of us. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This looks really good. But whats all this chat about bad neck angles and high tailpieces?
    It is a very good guitar! :) The stuff about neck angles is really just me obsessively pointing out a tiny issue just in case it bothers a potential buyer.

The issue is that Gibson aren't very consistent about the angle they set the neck into the body at. The neck angle determines how high the bridge needs to be, and this, in turn, limits how far down you can screw the tailpiece. With the strings going through the tailpiece (rather than being wrapped over the top of it), the tailpiece needs to be slightly higher off the body on this guitar than on many Les Pauls. So if you're obsessive about wanting to screw the tailpiece down to the body, I think you won't be able to do it on this guitar. But the Faber system is designed to give you the tonal benefits of that, without having to change the height on the tailpiece.

And, looking at it again today, I've got the action set a bit higher than it could be, so you could probably bring the tailpiece down if you're happy with a lower action. (I prefer it higher, but it's just a matter of taste).

• Yeah ok thanks iv owned a few lps do tend to topwrap though.
    Whos givin me facepalms btw...:(
    Bump for a lovely guitar.
  • I had this exact guitar and wish I'd never sold it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So now's the perfect opportunity to replace it! :D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    I've got one of those, they're really lovely guitars. I tried having the tailpiece screwed right down and sure enough the bottom strings bottom out on the bridge. That said, I didn't think it did much for the sound anyway. It's chambered so it's got a bit of resonance about it even with the tail up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Bump for another price drop. Someone needs to give this the loving home it deserves! :)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Any interest in trades?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

edited October 2013
    impmann said: Any interest in trades?
    Thanks for the enquiry. I'm afraid I'm mainly wanting a cash sale as I just need to clear some space. I think the only trade that might interest me would be a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, especially if it came in tweed. :)
    Bump!
  • TheMozTheMoz Frets: 0
    p'med on behalf of my mate who's after one
    And replied.
  • TheMozTheMoz Frets: 0
    and back.