Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

TattooNailbarVapingPawnCharityCoffee shops

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    From the RAC?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    As mentioned earlier, the shops that are filling up our towns now are selling a service not a product, things you can't buy online. The internet has taken over the world of shopping, anything that isn't grocerieis is losing sales to online shops

It's why there will always be nail bars, coffee shops, tattooists, piercers and hair dressers on the streets. What we seeing now is them popping up in prime locations as traditional businesses that use to occupy those spots have lost out to the internet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Looking at our local high streets I thing the thread title shop actually read 'TattooNailbarVapingPawnCharityCoffee shops - Repeat'.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

My town is much like every other. Loads of nail bars, hair dressers, bookies, etc. But there is an anomaly. Sitting right on the main street is an art shop gallery. It has been there a couple of years. It puzzles me how its stayed in business...

http://www.artworx.co.uk/

have a look at their webpage, click on any picture, and spit coffee over your keyboard when you see the prices. I love the stuff they've got in there mind you, they had loads of Marvel stuff a few weeks back which looked great. But the prices!!!!

I've got a mate who works at a similar place in Derby. They do ok.

The Star Wars / Craig Davidson ones are pretty cool, but I wouldn't really want one of my wall.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    From the RAC?

Yep.

Or a good psychiatrist.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11669
    Don't you have loads of "continental grocers"?

There is no way on god's green earth that they can be making enough money to survive when you could throw a stone and hit three or four of them from any point in the main road.

I'm not saying outright that they are all involved in money laundering, but with rents and rates at the levels they are you have to wonder how they turn over an honest penny.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    The trouble is with any "type" of business is once it's successful everyone wants to open one. It doesn't matter how big a pie is there's only so many times you can slice it before everyone is going hungry.

Most local councils have no loyalty to the shops in their town, they will quite happily allow another cafe or hairdressers open up 200 yards away from 2 long standing ones. It's a very short term view, as eventually one closes or downsizes due to the customer base having to be spread out more.

Competition is healthy, and a monopoly a bad thing but there should be a middle ground where current business is given more chance, this not only helps employment in the area but would also see more diversity on the high street.

I know Swansea council are refusing to license any new pubs or bars in the city centre, I think a similar view should be taken with all business, with a max capacity of each type.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7054
    Vaping! Passed a gang of kids on bmx bikes in Tescos car park just - probably about 12 years of age...

They were huddled round sharing a vape thing. I get the whole smoking looks cool notion but Vaping makes you look like a desperate bell end. There is zero cool factor.

What's the crack? Was it crack! Or one of these newfangled legal highs maybe?

Kids of today should be rolling a big fat spliff not Vaping!
    Previously known as stevebrum
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6374
    Iamnobody said:

Ahh.. Those were the days! B-)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Iamnobody said:
    Vaping! Passed a gang of kids on bmx bikes in Tescos car park just - probably about 12 years of age...

They were huddled round sharing a vape thing. I get the whole smoking looks cool notion but Vaping makes you look like a desperate bell end. There is zero cool factor.

What's the crack? Was it crack! Or one of these newfangled legal highs maybe?

That's sad, we were smoking and drinking at their age.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock