string tree/guide and neck screws for 1970's fender strat build

hi all

hope you are all well

I need to get some items for my strat build.  the neck is a 1974 strat with no string tree or guide. can i get any string guide? i don't necessarily need it period correct as the body and neck are genuine 1974 so that's good enough for me.

also any advice on neck screws?

thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73033
    The classic Fender 'butterfly' type, which is also period correct, is the best - but it does need to be a proper high quality one with dished 'wings' and no sharp edges... cheap ones are often flat and the strings snag on the edges.

It's usually best to raise them above the head surface with a spacer too, they're too low otherwise and can cause binding in the nut.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1006
    But some cream can fix it...

:)
  • finest1finest1 Frets: 94
    ICBM said:
    The classic Fender 'butterfly' type, which is also period correct, is the best - but it does need to be a proper high quality one with dished 'wings' and no sharp edges... cheap ones are often flat and the strings snag on the edges.

It's usually best to raise them above the head surface with a spacer too, they're too low otherwise and can cause binding in the nut.
    like these?

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Fender-Vintage-Style-Stratocaster-String-Guides/QW5

http://https//www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255967165056
    finest1 said:like these?
    Yes.

finest1 said:
    No.

That perfectly illustrates the difference - these are cheap crap with flat wings which will snag the strings. Notice how the wings on the first ones are ‘dished’, with an upward curve along the length of the string so the edge is above the string.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

thanks!

neck screws, anything i need to be aware of?
    Does it have the tilt mechanism still in place?

ICBM said:
    Does it have the tilt mechanism still in place?
    yes
    Probably worth getting an original 3-bolt plate and screws with the other half of the mechanism. If you would prefer 4 screws you can fit a USA Standard type which uses a simpler fitting, but you’ll have to drill extra holes in the neck - which will devalue it, if that matters to you.