Where to place volume pedal in chain?

What's Hot
OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
Current setup goes...

GUITAR, in to PITCHBLACK > HOT HEAD > BAD MONKEY > NOVA REPEATER > HALL OF FAME, out to AMP.

So where would I stick a volume pedal in that chain so that it would alter the volume, but would have no effect on the overall tone i.e. when the 'volume' is at full it won't affect my current tone(s)? 

Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    After the Bad Monkey if you still wanted your delay and reverb to trail out when your volume pedal is fully in the heel down (ie - silent) position. After the delay if you just want your reverb to trail in the same position. Right at the end if you need to control the overall volume, the repeats of the delay and the decay of the reverb.

Most people put it after dirt but before the delay as the trails sound cool if you're doing volume swells.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31585
    Ideally after a buffer

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 11024
    Does the amp have a loop? If so put it in there.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    Wherever it sounds best to you.

Some put it right at the front.

Guthrie puts it at the end.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

i put it at the start.

depends how you use the volume pedal. I use it like I would use a guitar volume...so makes sense to put it at the start. This way, i can back off the dirt with volume pedal and i cant get all the delay trails as well. 

If you dont want your dirty tone to go from dirty to clean with the sweep of the volume pedal then put it after the dirt pedals

If you want your effects to continue (Delay trails) after your turned down the volume (on the pedal) then put it before these effects.

If you want everything to go silent, or you want all your effects in/out with the sweep of the volume, put it at the end.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    It really depends on how you want to use it. 

Is it for big atmospheric volume swells? (then before the delay/verb) or as a mute/cut-off (at the very end or in the loop).

Do you want it to effect the drive pedals (place it before them you'll be controlling the dirt as well as pure volume by feeding those pedals a lower signal). After the drive will just be a volume change.

There's no one right position for it.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24997
    I put mine in the loop (after my chorus but before the delays).

I use the guitar volume to control how much signal goes into the amp and the volume pedal as a 'master volume on the floor'.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31585
    One question- 25k or 250k? If 25k you truly need to place directly after a buffer. A boss buffer ideal

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    The buffer in the Bad Monkey is pretty good, iirc.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214

Depends if you want it to actually get louder when you press it down (i.e. if you are using it as a solo boost)

If you do then in the loop as has been suggested or at the end of the chain. Anywhere else then you are at the mercy of the input stage of the next pedal