Splawn Cab Shootout Vid

MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1143
So i picked up a stock Marshall 1960b (G12T75s) last night and wanted to A/B it against my Matamp 2x12 with Creambacks in it, here's a quick and dirty video - forgive the solo i was making it up :D

Amp is a Splawn Competition 50, basically a Quick Rod with no clean channel and 50w

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Different sounds, equally as useful. :)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    nice :D
  • I really prefer the Marshall sound I have to say
    Old Is Gold
  • in the room and on the vid i preferrd the 75s, the Creambacks and this head seem to make the high end a bit mushy, but both sound good for different stuff. the heavier and gainer it got the better the 75s sounded, i was genuinely surprised

• Strangely I preferred the Marshall too and didn't think I would really, mind you I had a JCM800 2 X 12" combo with the same speakers for many years. It sounded great too to my ears.

Nothing wrong with the other cab and speakers though just different as @ddlooping said.
  • Well those Creambacks do sound like Greenbacks.

I preferred the Marshall cab for the rhythm stuff but did like the Creambacks for the solo notes too.  I think T75s get an overly bad rep on web forums personally!
  • i think you're right, because they are the standard everyone assumes they are shit, but they have a very natural voicing for rock and certainly are less picky than V30s or Greenbacks. For this head for what I use i prefer the sound to the Creambacks

edited September 2013
    I do like the t75s for certain things- 80s metal and the like. There's a sort of a fizz to them that I really like (but that a lot of people seem to hate)- but admittedly I really like 80s rock and metal tones so that's hardly surprising.

I haven't tried the splawn but I think it as a rep for having a lot of mids? Might explain why it works well with the t75s.
  • well it came to life with this cab, sounds how i was hoping it would when i got it, like a really good 800 :D

yeah definitely in that vid it sounded really good with the 75s.