1976? Gibson Les Paul Custom Norlin era

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1064
    Logie said:
    @webrthomson ;
    The codes are 70-028 which I believe correspond to 300k pots and the date? Code is 1377401 which looks like 1974 if google is correct.
    Correct - Of course it is possible that the pots were purchased in bulk and used later - Equally possible they aren't original - And/or it is a 74 not a 76 but think we can't see a serial number any more (is that correct) - Suspect the former

I said earlier that I'd change the pots - Purely as I can't stand 300K pots on an LP - 500K will IMO produce a better tone and control over the 1-10 range of the pot - But IMO keep those pots/loom as without any serial number they are almost the only form of 'ID" you have left on the guitar
    74 seems more likely - its got witch hat knobs and a Mahogany neck - by 76 Gibson were using different knobs and Maple for the necks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15379
    tFB Trader
    Logie said:
    @webrthomson ;
    The codes are 70-028 which I believe correspond to 300k pots and the date? Code is 1377401 which looks like 1974 if google is correct.
    Correct - Of course it is possible that the pots were purchased in bulk and used later - Equally possible they aren't original - And/or it is a 74 not a 76 but think we can't see a serial number any more (is that correct) - Suspect the former

I said earlier that I'd change the pots - Purely as I can't stand 300K pots on an LP - 500K will IMO produce a better tone and control over the 1-10 range of the pot - But IMO keep those pots/loom as without any serial number they are almost the only form of 'ID" you have left on the guitar
    74 seems more likely - its got witch hat knobs and a Mahogany neck - by 76 Gibson were using different knobs and Maple for the necks.
    Need better tech's than me to know this, but if you carefully removed that finish, would you still see hints of the stamped serial number ?
  • LogieLogie Frets: 447
    @guitars4you ;
    I don’t think the serial numbers were stamped into the headstock around this period.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    Logie said:
    @guitars4you ;
    I don’t think the serial numbers were stamped into the headstock around this period.
    In '74 they were - they changed to a decal in 1976, then back again. It's likely the number is still there under the paint unless the head was sanded down.

It's almost certainly a '74 from the pot codes and the features, which are consistent with each other.

I would actually keep the pots in the guitar if they still work OK - I'm not a big fan of 300Ks but they're not really that bad.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15379
    edited April 15 tFB Trader
    Logie said:
    @guitars4you ;;
    Up to 75 should still be 6 digit impressed into the headstock with made in the USA below - they changed to a silly 8 digit number during 75 on  an oval sticker and ran with this for 3 years - during 75 both options were in use for a while- Usual transition period with some guitars already in part build etc
    @guitars4you ;

There’s not even a hint of an impression so I don’t think it’s stamped even under the thick paint.
    It’s back with it’s owner now and he’s going to contact Feline ref the repair.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13896
    Logie said:
    @guitars4you ;

There’s not even a hint of an impression so I don’t think it’s stamped even under the thick paint.
    It’s back with it’s owner now and he’s going to contact Feline ref the repair.
    If it goes ahead, I'll be fascinated to follow it and see the end result.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    edited April 16
    ^^agreed, if it goes ahead would love to see this in a repair thread from Jon

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

I’ll be interested myself so I’ll make sure he asks for pics from the repair.