PAT Testing Question

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5902
We have to have our stuff tested for a Wedding Venue we are playing later in the year. I want to double check something. Do the amps need to be connected to the speaker cab whilst PAT Testing. I understand the amp plug goes into a Pat Testing machine, but apparently the amp does not Power Up when switched "on" so to speak.

My Pedalboard PSU takes a kettle lead, so I assume that can plug into the Pat Tester without any consequence to the pedalboard?

Thanks.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    You don't need the speaker cab connected. The power switch of the amp must be on, but since it's not receiving mains power, it can't produce any signal. You can test the power supply in the same way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danodano Frets: 1647
    We have to have our stuff tested for a Wedding Venue we are playing later in the year. 
    I always recommend to people when it come to safety that you should "want" to have your stuff tested regularly so you know you're safe, along with Joe public 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5902
    dano said:
    We have to have our stuff tested for a Wedding Venue we are playing later in the year. 
    I always recommend to people when it come to safety that you should "want" to have your stuff tested regularly so you know you're safe, along with Joe public 
    It is good advice. I only had one fail today and that was the Smooth Hound Adapter as I knew it would, it's started to split near the join of the plug.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    After all that, the venue never even bothered to ask for certificates or bothered to look at the gear for stickers. Lol. I'm glad one of our guys was qualified and I didn't have to mess around getting a stranger in to do it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10967
    After all that, the venue never even bothered to ask for certificates or bothered to look at the gear for stickers. Lol. I'm glad one of our guys was qualified and I didn't have to mess around getting a stranger in to do it.
    There isn't any legal requirement for stickers or a certificate ... just advice that it may prove useful to have them for your own records.
    There's also no qualification ... just that the person doing the PAT testing should be "competent" 

We play the game too though in terms of spreadsheets we can email in to the venues and have stickers on the kit.  I do also actually visually inspect all the gear then run earth continuity and insulation tests. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3499
    They never do, or would even know what they are looking at if they did. Im a PAT tester and the amount of times venues have requested (and argued) when Ive told them theres no such thing as certificates and its just best practice. I helped a friend recently who runs a small pub and they brewery demanded every item was tested (about 150) and he was quoted £12 an item. Took me about 2 hours to test and list and cost him a few beers. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ScreamingDaveScreamingDave Frets: 653
    For my old band's first gig, the venue insisted all our gear had to be PAT tested.  We paid a guy to do it.  (He was a joy to meet, actually: one of those people who enriches your life just by chatting to them.  He was a former circus ringmaster and was the electrician and elephant trainer!)  We rocked up, showed the event manager at the venue the PAT log and he checked a few bits of gear for stickers, then pointed us to a socket to plug into.  it had a big sign over it, saying, "DANGER: Do NOT use".

He seemed impervious to the irony.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    For my old band's first gig, the venue insisted all our gear had to be PAT tested.  We paid a guy to do it.  (He was a joy to meet, actually: one of those people who enriches your life just by chatting to them.  He was a former circus ringmaster and was the electrician and elephant trainer!)  We rocked up, showed the event manager at the venue the PAT log and he checked a few bits of gear for stickers, then pointed us to a socket to plug into.  it had a big sign over it, saying, "DANGER: Do NOT use".

He seemed impervious to the irony.
    Sad thing is, I'm hardly shocked (no pun intended).