NAD. Marshall VS100R combo

koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4243
Well Mrs surprised me today by bringing home a Marshall VS100R combo toda6. From a car boot sale. Bought it for £75 thinking even if it’s not working well I’d know what’s wrong. 
Well plugged it in thinking the worst, but it works, but not well. There is a problem with some runaway oscillation noise. When I get a chance this week I will pull chassis out and give it a clean etc.
from what I remember back in 90s if valve packed up, distortion channel stopped working properly etc. Never owned one before, anything I should be looking out for? 
Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    No, on the VS series the valve operates on both channels. It's the most likely cause of microphonics or oscillation, so I would try replacing that first - it's a cathode follower, so avoid using any Russian-made valve if you can.

There aren't a lot of common problems with these other than the headphone jack causing trouble - as usual, the main speaker current goes through the switch in the jack (in the ground contact, the most prone to getting stressed) - it's best to simply jumper across this, and just remember to unplug the speaker if you ever want to torture your ears with the shitty sound that comes out of the jack...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4243
    Cheers @ICBM ;
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 961
    I've got the VS100 head if you're interested - I'm not using it and would be super cheap 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs