If you were to buy one Marshall amp.. what would it be.. and why?

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 1409
    The AC50 just gone into amp hospital and gig on Saturday, so have a 100w Vintage modern head on its way, maybe I’ll try a JTM45 next time
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    The AC50 just gone into amp hospital and gig on Saturday, so have a 100w Vintage modern head on its way
    Take a backup :) :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2587
    edited May 7
    I've got 2 non-Marshall "Marshalls".

First is my MJW Roadstar Twin in which the drive channel splits the difference between a JTM45 and a  1987x (more gain and clarity than the JTM45 but not quite as much gain as the 1987x)

Second is my Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini, which covers a lot of range from pretty clean to hard rock but not modern metal. It's a little darker and smoother than the MJW, though the two can get very close to each other if you want them to.

Arguably the 3 way gain switch on the Friedman makes it more versatile than the dirty channel on the MJW, but the clean channel on the MJW is effectively an AB763 Princeton with a mid control, which means it covers a huge range from blackface cleans (and a fantastic pedal platform) to rock and 70's metal sounds with a boost

If I had to keep one amp it would be the MJW, but if I wanted an amp for just Marshall tones it would be hard to ignore Friedman
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3499
    Whats decent modern? My son does some work for Marshall and has told me he can get anything at trade price so may treat myself to a low wattage combo of some sort. Ive had a couple of 18watters before and some god awful 20w (origin or something?). Is there anything else of interest to crank with reverb? 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2587
    edited May 7
    @lustycourtier I wouldn't worry about/bother with reverb on a Marshall. Most of their classic circuits don't have it, and anything recent with reverb is using a built in digital reverb. 

The new Studio range looks nice, is UK made, lower power, and has an effects loop so you can easily run a decent reverb in the loop 

If it were me I'd try out the Studio silver jubilee and the Studio JTM.

I should add, not extremely recent and not low powered, but the Joe Satriani signature version of the JVM100 is really excellent if they had one hidden away at the factory, super versatile and excellent sounds on all channels.

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 390
    Best bang for buck are second hand JCM800 2203x and 2555x Jubilee reissues. can be found for under a grand. 
    Loop, "the sound" and you get to experience the 100W Marshall power stage in a MV circuit that won't smack your head off when it gives the goods like the also very worthy plexi reissues. 

Or a lower wattage JTM. 

JVMs are also very good amps I hear, Marshall's offering of the "greatest hits" in one amp. 

Alternatively, Friedmans are "mix ready" takes on Marshall circuits and also can be had for good prices 2nd hand, specially the lower wattage ones. 

The 2204 JMP 50W Mk2 MV is regarded as a very special amp too but ihmo not good value for money for one in decent nick.