ToneX One - new release. Mini pedal with Amp Captures, Verb, IR loading etc - Kemper killer?

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28010
    mgaw said:
    Could I just plug my guitar into this pedal , plug my headphones into it and have a late night practice set up?  
    Yes, apparently the output can run headphones and it's stereo.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 609
    Yep and it works well as an audio interface so you can have something to play along to if you don't mind connecting to computer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    Thanks chaps. Off to order one
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 941
    mgaw said:
    Could I just plug my guitar into this pedal , plug my headphones into it and have a late night practice set up?  
    Yep. The output jack supports headphone level connections.
  • BodBod Frets: 1430
    I got mine at the end of last week.  It's a wonderful little device, well thought out and sounds simply incredible with the right profiles.  I'm just using mine for bass along with some of the Ampeg SVT profiles, probably just to keep in my gig bag for gigs where I'm going direct only.
  • jamesguitarjamesguitar Frets: 180
    Mine arrived today and I haven’t taken it out the box yet (ordered from Thomann last week). Gigging tonight, will have a look at it tomorrow. Am sure it won’t sound any different to the bigger version but I’m curious how it sounds running overdrive pedal captures and how easy (or not) the user interface is.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 765
    mgaw said:
    Yes
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • champ222champ222 Frets: 35
    so those of you that have your Tonex One already, how do you find the operation? it strikes me that the tiny pedal has a few downsides in terms of useability with the limited knobs. If the unit was regular pedal size, with a few extra knobs for changing banks/presets etc, would that have been better? even if it pushed the price to say £220? 

Or do you all find it easy enough to operate?

i'm leaning towards the regular tonex, as i can have it on the desk for ease of fiddling, and plug in a footswitch. The price of the ONE is tempting though. the USB connection being on the front means i cant leave it connected all the time.

The regular tonex is still good value though
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 941
    TBH now I've got the hang of it (I think) it's less of a useability issue than I originally thought - realistically compromises have to be made given the form factor.

I suppose it depends on what you want to do - for me, it's an emergency rig if my Helix goes down but also it's in the effects loop to expand my amp/cab options. with the Helix doing the FX.

In both of those cases, I don't (now) find the interface that limiting but no doubt the regular unit would give you more options in terms of control on the fly...only you can decide if that's super important.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 765
    @champ222 ;The regular pedal is more flexible (3 presets per bank, up and down switch's, 150 presets in total, easier to dial knobs) but it also has midi and exp pedal control which may be relevant for some cases. I have mine in the fx loop of a Boss GT1000 Core and the midi connection is essential for me.

You can also check Thomann's special anniversary silver edition which is a bit cheaper.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4155
    Mine has just arrived from A Strings. Only ordered yesterday and I took the free delivery option so very impressed with the service.

Unfortunately I’m working and don’t have a guitar to hand!

I had a quick peek and it’s proper tiny. Really looking forward to having a go..
    edited May 21
    Mine has just arrived from A Strings. Only ordered yesterday and I took the free delivery option so very impressed with the service.

Unfortunately I’m working and don’t have a guitar to hand!

I had a quick peek and it’s proper tiny. Really looking forward to having a go..

Mine just arrived too. Need to find time to get it up and running...soon.
    <space for hire>
    Well, I'm trying to install the software and the IK Product Manager is currently telling me it's downloading at 11KB/s, and it'll complete in 46 hours. And, because they want their own little walled garden, there's no other way to install the software at all.

Not impressed with the IK ecosystem thus far.
    <space for hire>
    Well, I'm trying to install the software and the IK Product Manager is currently telling me it's downloading at 11KB/s, and it'll complete in 46 hours. And, because they want their own little walled garden, there's no other way to install the software at all.

Wait...you have to run Product Manager as an administrator to get the download to work properly. FFS.
    <space for hire>
    OK, it's a pain in the ass to set up unless the stars align for you, but...holy hell, once it's up and running, it sounds great!
    <space for hire>
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4374
    edited May 21
    Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but can this be powered by the USB port? That might make it workable as a portable headphone amp if so vs the IR-2

*edit* Found it in the manual, pg.30 - confirmed, it can be powered over USB.
    Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but can this be powered by the USB port? That might make it workable as a portable headphone amp if so vs the IR-2

*edit* Found it in the manual, pg.30 - confirmed, it can be powered over USB.
    Just tried it - yes, it works.
    <space for hire>
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10359

Wait...you have to run Product Manager as an administrator to get the download to work properly. FFS.
    Their Product Manager is absolutely atrocious, I've been trying to install T-RackS 5 Master Match for a week now and it lets me register the serial number, but just doesn't list it to install. Very frustrating and I think that's one of the reasons I've never bothered with going for Tonex or indeed even using the Amplitube software I do have as it seems to require too many hoops to be jumped through just to use the bloody thing
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • jamesguitarjamesguitar Frets: 180

Their Product Manager is absolutely atrocious, I've been trying to install T-RackS 5 Master Match for a week now and it lets me register the serial number, but just doesn't list it to install. Very frustrating and I think that's one of the reasons I've never bothered with going for Tonex or indeed even using the Amplitube software I do have as it seems to require too many hoops to be jumped through just to use the bloody thing

I’m not a fan of product managers, but I’ve not had any issues with the IK one. I have the Total Studio package (picked it up cheap one Black Friday), so there’s a ton of big libraries etc on that and they downloaded fast. Having said that, my experience doesn’t help you at all if you’re getting a slow download.

Waves, Softube, Native Instruments etc - all the big players have a similar system. It’s probably the only way to avoid piracy. But if you’re going to make the customer use your ecosystem, then there’s no excuse for any slow downloads.