Who pays £700 for a 15w solid state combo?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4626
    Roland Blues Cubes  are also getting towards that price I think, the Stage version 
      Then there’s the Quilter  & the Vox AC30 Vr  on Paper the Vox AC30 Vr should be a real winner ,what happened?  it’s got the looks  & the spec seems good  I’m guessing the 30 SS watts didn’t cut it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 269
    ICBM said:
    The problem is that historically, solid-state has been associated with cheap amps - at least after the initial phase of development where reliability was very questionable as well - and so the perception is that it’s an inferior technology. In fact, it’s not - but it’s very difficult to change that when most solid-state amps *are* more cheaply made than valve ones and don’t sound as good, exactly because it’s hard to persuade buyers to part with more money for one, because they are perceived as cheap… it’s a self-reinforcing prophesy.

One of the big problems is that they’re usually fitted with cheaper and inferior speakers, because the speaker is the single most expensive component. Fit a good speaker to any of the better-designed solid-state amps and you may be very surprised at the results.
    Even some of decent valve amps from the 70s had this cost saving issue. Traynor are wonderful hand wired amps up there with Fender but the Marsland speakers in them were fantastically average. A good Celestion in them makes a huge difference.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3756
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    robgilmo said:
    That's in rough condition though, despite what the seller says, and I'm sure I've come across bad things about the seller in the past too...

Not sure what the point of photographing it in front of an Orange cab that clearly isn't included in the sale is, either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KeikoKeiko Frets: 1118
    edited May 12
    ICBM said:

Not sure what the point of photographing it in front of an Orange cab that clearly isn't included in the sale is, either.
    Yeah what's that all about? The dummy Orange cab is in the background of every listing. Just wierd, and looks awful. I know you need some background contrast when taking photos, especially of dull and grey objects, but there are better options than that, like a sheet of card, or a blanket. Or fork out for a proper photography backdrop.