Angular v2.0 - complete rewrite.

equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6374
edited October 2014 in Off Topic
This is going to cause a lot of pain for developers out there. The whole damn thing is changing so you can forget migration tools.
Yep chuck out the old and bring in the new and sorry to any 1.x developers.

I was in the throes of recommending Angular as part of a new development stack for web-applications at work. The current version is extremely elegant and having worked through quite a few training sessions on Pluralsight, I was really impressed with the whole framework.

It also helped that it has almost become 'the' place to go for SPA development with a large community of users. With the new radically different version being announced, Google are setting adrift all 1.x  development.

I now need to go back to the drawing board :(

Any of you developery chaps out there effected by this?

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18303
    tFB Trader
    It really pisses me off when people do this. 

I used to use Kohana as a web framework and when they released version 3 they basically tore the whole thing up and started again. 

I asked how you might approach migrating and they said "Probably best not to bother and rewrite from scratch"

That's fine when you are pissing about writing little brochureware sites that take a few days, but when you are writing stuff that's had a couple of man years of effort put into it, it's not really an option. 

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    This is why I like Semantic Versioning.

We've a vendor who just changed several parts of the API on a patch release, with any other Vendor I'd want to kick them in the balls - butt hese guys are great so I wrote them a polite email - imagine that ;)

Perl6 kinda killed Perl, anyway Ruby was Perl6 really.
    Rails 3 kinda did for rails as far as previous users had experienced it.

I think the thing is, if it changes beyond recognition it's a new framework based on lessons learnt in the last one - it's a diservice to both products to confuse them
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • I'm currently breathing a sigh of relief - I started a new job a couple of months back, and my first job was to investigate how to get Angular working to replace everything in our entire system. I came to the conclusion that it simply wasn't worth it, and - sorry, chaps - right now I'm feeling pretty smug (and relieved). 

The main reason for it was to improve responsiveness (although we've settled on a different approach entirely now), but the reason for choosing Angular was that because it's a Google endeavour it was likely to be very stable and well-supported. If I hadn't fought my corner so hard and given in because I'm the new guy...we'd be well into the middle of a complete rewrite of our system only for this news to come along.

Phew.
    <space for hire>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18303
    tFB Trader
    frankus said:

I think the thing is, if it changes beyond recognition it's a new framework based on lessons learnt in the last one - it's a diservice to both products to confuse them
    I completely agree with this. 

Kohana 3 should have been a new framework. 

Yii (which we use for a few things) evolved from PRADO, but they had the good grace not to claim it was PRADO 2. 

Doctrine and Symfony pulled similar stunts and it just pisses people off.