Accidental NAD

What's Hot
strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2587
edited May 6 in Amps
Saw this on Facebook marketplace and after some man maths I decided it was too cheap to refuse, so picked it up. 

Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini head and matching ported 1x12 cab.

It's really very compact, and sounds great (after some initial weirdness which was solved by replacing the power valves). Cathode biased so handy to replace valves, which I imagine I'll need to do frequently, it runs very hot (a combination of getting 20 watts out of a pair of EL84s, and having a 230V tap running at 240V I'd imagine)

Does fantastic Marshall tones, and is quite dark voiced so suits my Teles and Strat.
3 way gain structure switch is really useful and it does surprisingly good cleans with the volume rolled back on the guitar.

Here it is next to my MJW

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1769
    Very nice.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    Great amps the 20w Friedman's, they do run hot though don't they! Love my Runt 20, all Marshall tones for days. Wish I'd bought one sooner.

Happy new amp day!

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • theterracattheterracat Frets: 19
    Have got one of those DSMs, purchased here on the Board. Lovely thing. It's a mini rock machine. 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2587
    I've put an old stock Brimar in V1 which has made it even better (I generally don't love JJs in V1).
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    edited May 8
    strtdv said:
    I've put an old stock Brimar in V1 which has made it even better (I generally don't love JJs in V1).
    I tried a few different NOS tubes in the Runt and tbh the JJ in V1 was the best  (very very marginal differences of course!)

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• tdan71tdan71 Frets: 8
    I got the little sister version from Coda a couple of months ago and I'm smitten!