AAS rather than GAS?

What's Hot
strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2587
in Amps
Anyone else suffer from this? 

I'm pretty set in what I like in a guitar, and as a result tend to find a guitar I like and stick with it, I've owned around 8 or 9 electric guitars in 20 years of playing, of which I currently own 3, one of which is my first electric guitar and another one which I bought about 15 years ago. 

Amps on the other hand I seem to feel less attachment to and every so often just take a notion of changing things. 
In 20 years I've owned: 
Fender Frontman 212
4 Laneys (2 Lionhearts, an Ironheart and an LC15)
Matamp First Lady
Hiwatt Custom 20
Orange Reverb Twin
MJW Roadstar Twin 
Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini 
Box Night Train
Line 6 Helix LT 
Possibly more I've forgotten. 

Something about the prospect of finding a new sound I think.

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10067
    I thought GAS stood for Gear Acquisition Syndrome - therefore it already covers amps, pedals, and any other music-related paraphernalia you might wish to acquire. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 576
    If you like AAS and GAS there's a courtroom in New York right now that just might be the place for you. ;)

Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 710
    I too am much more interested in amps than guitars... I blame a lifelong fascination with hifi, and this is an extension of that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 390
    Amps for me too, although i’ve been through a lot in a short. time and kinda settled a bit
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1655
    Both lol..

Slowed down recently. 

Amp wise..there is nothing more satisfying than wet/dry/wet with a tone king falcon and a tone king imperial in stereo with a 65 dr ri in the middle dry..the room temperature raises a few degrees..the needle on the electric meter shakes of the dust and the room fills with glorious harmony.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1490
    I've just loosely counted my amp ownership in the last 20-30 years and I'm already over 50.

I've clearly got a problem.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28678
    I've had far fewer amps overall than guitars or pedals. But I'm getting more interested in having a range of amps for different things. I can see myself surrounded by a handful of small combos over the next few years. Already have a TMDR and TMPR, plus Badcat and Romany12. The Princeton and Badcat will go in favour of a Carr BelRay most likely. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    I'm similar, I know what I like in a guitar and don't need/want variety there, plus they all sound similar anyway. Amps can give a lot more varied sounds. Would love a "YouTuber" style rack of amp heads running through a switcher :) 
  • PPPMATPPPMAT Frets: 25
    Yes definitely - over the years I have had many more amps than guitars. I have however narrowed it down to modded plexis in tone, the problem is there are loads of great options in just that area alone. 

The internet has been great for discovery though - when I was a kid i didn't really know any brands beyond what the local music store sold (the long since departed Electro Music in Doncaster) and you took advice from the sales guys or what you could find in magazines. Now though - if I went for everything that I had seen on youtube and fancied trying out I would be bankrupt.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30125
    8 including a Smokey, a Microcube, and my cello amp.

Must try harder. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 950
    I find amps much more interesting than guitars, but I haven't had very many.  I think four "real amps", plus a couple of little modelling practice amps.  I had a cheap SS combo (can't even remember what it was) I bought when I was a student, then a massive gap with no amp until I needed one again and bought a Marshall AVT100 (I know, but mine never gave me any trouble), then a Blackstar HT20, and most recently an Orange Rocker 30.  I've had the R30 about 10 years now - Can't see me wanting to change it again until I can't be bothered to lug the weight of it around anymore.
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 360
    Marshall Code
    Fender mustang
    Yamaha THR10
    PG Spark
    TK FG
    DR64
    Princeton 64
    Blackstar ID Core. 

I had to write them down to work it out but yes that’s more amps than guitars I’ve owned (5). 
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 390
    edited May 9
    @TTBZ, I've done the multiple amps rack through switcher thing and it certainly felt nice looking at an amp wall and trying all amps I've read about but couldn't afford, mostly 100W proper tour grade heads that were in fashion 10-15yrs ago (i.e when I coundn't afford them). 
    I even got to use most of them in song production releases (my own stuff on spotify) so I didn't just keep them only to look at them and for the occasional noodle. 

Big learning curve until I found what I like- chewy, darker el34 circuits, basically an ecstasy 101b which I settled on and maybe my Mezza Trinity -if it doesn't sell- to cover the faster and brighter end.

but a funny thing happened.. 
    The realisation that cab and mic (or IR) matter more than the head, or rather, that many different heads of the same lineage sound similar through my IR of choice came along the same time when I felt like I should be a bit more 'grown up' in how I prioritise my spending.. i.e. family - house stuff and not amps.. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    Catthan said:
     I felt like I should be a bit more 'grown up' in how I prioritise my spending.. i.e. family - house stuff and not amps.. 
    Yep, this is why I currently have 1 amp and 1 guitar :) plenty of GAS for new gear but rarely act on it, most of the time it ends up being a disappointment anyway. 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2482
    edited May 9
    I’ve had 20 guitars and 34 amps so I guess I’m in the same boat. 
    I keep a complete list of everything I’ve owned in my notes. 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2587
    I've a strong preference for G12H-30s and G12Ms, but if you're running a higher power amp through them you need a 4x12 which is impractically large. 
    The great thing is that now the G12H-75 and G12M-65 mean I can get away with a 1x12 or 2x12 and get in the same ballpark for tone 
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 269
    Yes. Marshall handwired, 78 Deluxe Reverb, mid 70s Park, 70s Traynor and this week a 69 AC30 with Silver Bells which was too good a deal to pass on. Don’t know how it happened.