New old modded comedy amp day

What's Hot
CorvusCorvus Frets: 3036
in Amps tFB Trader
Behold the mighty Doobie G15.
I've had this tiny combo for donkeys. It's always sounded thin & very terrible with a cheapo 6" speaker, but ran on mains, batteries and has a car cig lighter lead built in :) So was busked and paid itself many times over, from London to Norfolk, Scotland. Been on holidays as well. But hasn't been used for decades really.
For some reason I decided to take a look at it, found the battery bay rusted to hell. Speaker leads crumbled. So added new ones and hooked it up to a cab.. sounded way better...

So for no good reason at all I took it apart, replaced all the electrolytics first. Sorted crackly pots. The cab got chopped and put back together, cut down one of it's panels for the back cover, saving the tolex so it looks OK. Added IEC and speaker socket. Cleaned the tolex and panel and whatnot. Made a panel to fill in the front and added some vinyl wallpaper ::)

Before:

Now:

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 3036
    tFB Trader
    It has a strong ol' hum which it always did, doing the caps didn't help. Am semi-tempted to see if someone could mod it to be quieter.

How it sounds through a 2x12. It is slightly better than before!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 780
    Nice work!
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 376
    I'm waiting for the Mesa/Doobie...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3169
    Were these amps made by the the folks that made the Meisa amps?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73540
    Corvus said:

Neat conversion. Did you leave the reverb tank hanging through the bottom of the cabinet? :)

Were these amps made by the the folks that made the Meisa amps?
    Mesia - Zoom-Aidean. I don’t know.

I’ve also never found out if that’s the same Zoom we now know as an FX manufacturer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3437
    werent these 70s japanese copies?
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3036
    tFB Trader
    Thanks all! At least it's not landfill even if fairly landfill quality. Sentimental value to it I guess.

Mesa Doobie, the toker's choice.

@ICBM :) and cheers.
    I failed to take a pic of the name of whoever made it, it was a two or three part Japanese name that didn't ring a bell. Not that that means much.
    @lustycourier it's a basic s/s amp with a small board, it's no clone just a cheeky ride on the coat tails type of thing. There's 2-3 other models all 70s ss type things.