Fender: Older or Newer?

What's Hot
UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13106
Greetings

I find myself seriously regretting not having a P bass. And it probably needs to be a Fender because I'm funny like that. 

Now, one of the interesting things about P basses is that, give or take, the specs are basically all the bloody same. 

So---how do, say, a slightly older US standard (there's a late 90s one thats caught my eye) compare to a more modern Mexican or US offering in terms of quality? I had a Player Precision for a while and whilst it was a very nice bass it just didn't have the mojo, man. 

(obviously I know the neck profiles vary a bit. I had a Vintera P that was awesome but the neck was stupid big). 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3765
    Play ‘em, you will then know.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13106
    Play ‘em, you will then know.
    Yeah, easier said than done in Scotland these days... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14921
    The necks of the more recent "modern" American models with graphite reinforcement are more stable than those with the traditional truss rod.

I have known MIM Fender and Squier instruments that, with pickup upgrades, have been just as satisfying as American instruments.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6220
    Greetings

I find myself seriously regretting not having a P bass. And it probably needs to be a Fender because I'm funny like that. 

Now, one of the interesting things about P basses is that, give or take, the specs are basically all the bloody same. 

So---how do, say, a slightly older US standard (there's a late 90s one thats caught my eye) compare to a more modern Mexican or US offering in terms of quality? I had a Player Precision for a while and whilst it was a very nice bass it just didn't have the mojo, man. 

(obviously I know the neck profiles vary a bit. I had a Vintera P that was awesome but the neck was stupid big). 
    You might find a P bass with a J bass style neck would suit you better. Although the Jazz bass still has the same (or very similar) string spacing at the bridge - 19mm iirc. It's the principal reason I find P basses difficult to play, esp when playing chords at 12th fret. The string spacing on my Hofner 185 is 14mm, much more comfortable to play and chords are a breeze.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28141
    Player or Standard should have a middle-sized neck which is lovely imo. Avoid the vintage reissue stuff if you dont' like the stupid huge neck (I don't!). That's why my Ps are home-made - partly because I enjoy building stuff but also because it's the only way to get something that feels a bit vintage that doesn't have a nut the width off the English Channel.. 

If in doubt chuck a really good pickup in a cheap-ish one and you'll be very happy. And flat wounds....
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    stickyfiddle said: 
    If in doubt, chuck a really good pickup in a cheap-ish one and you'll be very happy. And flat wounds....
    Until I invested in an AV63, my go-to flatwound P Bass was a Squier Silver Series with American pickup and electronic parts.
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 575
    edited May 27
    I recently sold a 2023 Fender Pro II Stratocaster in favour of a 1988 Fender Stratocaster Plus . . . The Strat Plus plays the socks off any other Strat I've had . . . It just feels and sounds right, and thats the most important part . .  If it feels right and sounds right, its a winner, regardless of age/ patina/ cost /country of manufacture etc . . . 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 310
    If you are thinking older includes late 70s up to the 90s, be aware that quality was very variable on the US products in that period.  I am charitably assuming that they have invested in some CNC machines since then.

Fenders really do need to be tried before you buy.  They make some good ones, but there are a lot of turkeys out there.  The country of origin, model and year by themselves do not give you a fool proof guide to quality. 

The most recent one I had was a late 90s model.  It needed a lot of work to get rid of fret buzzes and a strange resonance if you played a B natural.  It was a high-end US jazz 5 string with carbon fibre rods in the neck.  If you are used to Ibanez, Yamaha or PRS, be prepared to have your expectations challenged. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2416
    Modern Fender Precisions are probably more consistently well made. I have an original ‘73 and a 2016 RI of a ‘63 (iirc). The ‘73 has a dubious neck joint but sounds lovely; the RI is immaculately built and punchier sounding overall.

Horses/courses.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13106
    Thanks folks.

I was really thinking late 90s/early 2000s US.

All that said, hilariously having asked about US Precisions I've gone and bought something that isn't a Precision, and isn't American... 

Might update when I get home and unbox it... 
    Pick tease!