Replicating bass?

What's Hot
I’m starting to get back into recording again after many years and don’t have access to a bass guitar. It’s horrible using the “musical keyboard” route and I was wondering what people use for bass tracks? I have an HX One on my board - is there any effect that would get me close so I can play bass lines on guitar? I’m not too familiar with pitch shifting effects so any advice appreciated (other than “go and buy a bass)!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    Have you got a Mac?

Logic has an AI session bass player now

Failing that Spectrasonics Trillian was used on Dua Lipa's album Future Nostalgia and most people think it's a real bass. It's £200 though!
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1291
    It'll never sound quite like a bass guitar but a simple octave down pitch shift will do the job. Playing technique plays a role too - maybe use fingers, roll off a bit of tone, pluck nearer the neck, pay attention to note length (legato isn't usually what you want), keep non-played strings quiet.

Within a mix it can do a passable job. I've used just such a method many times when using a looper. I use a TC Electronic Sub'n'Up octaver - there'll be something suitable in the HX One's list of effects I'm sure.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • matt_seftonmatt_sefton Frets: 1063
    Have you got a Mac?

Logic has an AI session bass player now

Failing that Spectrasonics Trillian was used on Dua Lipa's album Future Nostalgia and most people think it's a real bass. It's £200 though!
    I do have a Mac but only using GarageBand. Just the letters A and I give me a cold sweat!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28678
    It'll never sound quite like a bass guitar but a simple octave down pitch shift will do the job. Playing technique plays a role too - maybe use fingers, roll off a bit of tone, pluck nearer the neck, pay attention to note length (legato isn't usually what you want), keep non-played strings quiet.

Within a mix it can do a passable job. I've used just such a method many times when using a looper. I use a TC Electronic Sub'n'Up octaver - there'll be something suitable in the HX One's list of effects I'm sure.

This is where I'd start if you don't want to buy any kit. Poly Capo down with a compressor in GarageBand. 

That said I will just stick in one quick vote for "grab a cheap P bass" if you can. Entry level Squier for under 150 used is probably doable and shouldn't ever lose value. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @stickyfiddle  - poly capo sounds like a plan. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28420
    It'll never sound quite like a bass guitar but a simple octave down pitch shift will do the job. 
    That's what I was going to suggest.  It's what I've done when I couldn't be bothered to find a bass for something quick & dirty.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Jono111Jono111 Frets: 287
    I had that problem a couple of years ago and picked up a bass from FB marketplace. I had no idea they were so hard to play. Now I can finally do the alternating plucking it is great fun doing easier songs. Now if only I could find a way to do drums.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3129
    +1 I've had great results with Poly Capo in Helix Native. As above just roll some tone off.

Saying that though I picked up a Squier Precision very recently and it's definitely a better option even just for the feel.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Thanks everyone - really helpful. If my return to recording is more than a passing phase I’ll definitely look at getting a real bass but for now I’ll fake it.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6287
    TTony said:
    It'll never sound quite like a bass guitar but a simple octave down pitch shift will do the job. 
    That's what I was going to suggest.  It's what I've done when I couldn't be bothered to find a bass for something quick & dirty.
    you know, I have never thought of this, and it's so obvious!
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 954
    It's been a while since I used GarageBand but I seem to remember their built-in bass amp simulator really helped