Pick up recommendations for PJE Macon

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3937
Hi!

After putting a set of EMG 57/66 in my PJE, I have to say they really don’t sound bad at all. However, I’ve a desire to return it to passive and use the EMGs elsewhere (or sell). I sold on the original Mojos (I was never particularly enamoured of them) and wonder if there are recommendations for a set of more vintage PAF-likes?

Cheers!
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2554
    You'll probably just get a long list of PAFs people like rather than necessarily what's best for the guitar, though it might give you a starting point.

What's the guitar like acoustically (scooped/bright/dark etc)? Did it feel like it preferred a more aggressive vibe with the EMGs? There are PAF types that are more aggressive in voice than others.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3937
    edited May 29
    @timmypix Good questions. It’s certainly vibrant acoustically and I’d say more bright than dark. 

It certainly takes gain well with the EMGs. 

This was a quick tone test:

https://vocaroo.com/1lRvRvfquqhr

My band, Red For Dissent
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2554
    edited May 29
    Summoning the PAFmaster @nacnudnai ;;;;

From what I've played and enjoyed, both of my own and Ian's pickups, PAF-alikes with an aggressive edge points you towards Monty's general voice; all their pickups seem to have a nice smooth but pokey midrange. In order of recommendation for this scenario: Full Monties, Overspuns, PAFs.

Bare Knuckle seem to have a similar voice to Monty's in their PAF-y pickups. Mules are well-respected and they definitely kick in the mids a bit more than some PAFs. Black Dogs if you don't mind venturing a bit further from PAF territory - more aggressive/modern but still bags of PAF character to the voice, a bit more low end weight and tightness.

Also the OX4 Kossoffs, which are fairly close to the Mules but a bit more open, from memory, but I've only had a couple of blasts on them.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got Mojo PAFs in a Les Paul that previously had Bare Knuckle Mules in it. The Mules were awesome, I just let my curiosity get the better of me after I saw one too many people say Mojo PAFs were the best out there.

From the before and after recordings I made, I can say the Mojo PAFs and the Mules sound almost identical. Mine are slightly hotter wound alnico IV Mojos, so you'd expect them to be near identical because the specs are the same (even the DC resistances were the same as BK quote for the Mules, so I was really on a hiding to nothing by swapping them).

Those are two of the highest quality PAF replicas out there. So I don't think it's any lack of quality from the Mojos. What didn't you like about them? And do you know which Mojo PAFs you had? Marc has changed the recipe a few times. His low winds used to come as standard with Alnico III, other magnets available on request, and the hotter ones with Alnico IV. Looking on the website now, they're all Alnico V as standard.

If you had hot Alnico Vs and didn't like them, you might enjoy some low-wound Alnico IIs, or vice versa.

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3937
    Thanks, @timmypix ;

I’ll see what is out there at reasonable prices!

My band, Red For Dissent