Triggering samples live

What's Hot
topdog91topdog91 Frets: 388
edited May 31 in Live
We (party cover band) are interested in over-complicating things, er I mean triggering the odd sample live. Many of the newer poppy tunes are elevated by a judicious sample or two. So, how to go about it?

1. Would a Linux laptop with linuxsampler (https://www.linuxsampler.org/) or sfizz (https://sfz.tools/sfizz/) do as a central sample repository? Connected to the mixer via a decent audio interface.
2. I asked in the past about triggering samples with my feet but I think it would be difficult to be accurate so you know, I'll just do what I can when there's no guitar part etc, and the same for all of us. I think the singer and keyboard player will be triggering most stuff. What (extra) devices would people recommend for the triggering? I see there are sample pads like the Akai MPX8. Would an iPad do the job? I think the drummer has some kind of trigger pad, not sure what. Keyboard player plays a Nord Stage 3, not sure if he'd want to use that to trigger stuff or have a separate device. I know nothing about it.
3. Is wireless MIDI an option for all this or does it have to be cabled? We don't currently do anything very technical but are heading that way e.g. we probably have an XR18 in our future at some point.

Despite writing all that I think I was quite vague but happy to have my questions "sharpened" if you need me to help you to help me.
Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1603
    With a Nord stage 3 it's easy to map a few samples to particular keys on a patch, so I'd leave it to your keyboard player - no extra gear needed that way
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 388
    edited May 31
    horse said:
    With a Nord stage 3 it's easy to map a few samples to particular keys on a patch, so I'd leave it to your keyboard player - no extra gear needed that way
    That's good to know and obviously quite simple to set up (for the rest of us!). Things that I'm thinking:

1. He's the most amazing player but he still often has his hands full so I'd like us to share the load if possible.
    2. He's more classically trained than the rest of us, has an amazing ear but tends to read the dots. So need to work with him about playing specific parts that are unlikely to be in the notation.
    3. If I could come up with even a test solution at rehearsal, that would encourage him and everyone else. I'm kind of the main "let's try something new" guy, and he'd be less likely to have a go at finding and loading the samples. Although I did find out tonight he has a program for most songs so at least it's more viable than if he used a couple of programs for the whole gig. i.e. it won't take up too many of his notes.

But it does make sense and I'll have a chat with him. Plus one less mixer input...
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8900
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    Difficult subject.

My board has sample slots and I trigger them from a a pad matrix.

if you dont have a board capable of samples, you need a sample player.   That can be another board, a dedicated hardware unit - and yes you can do it using a laptop with the right software.  

Triggers can be instant (press a button it plays, release the button it stops) - one shot (press the button and it plays one cycle of the sample) or loop (where it continuously loops until you press another button to stop it).  

Triggering an external sample would normally be with using Midi CC - or Midi NRPN.   This depend on the receiving unit.  NRPR is a PITA because its not standardised - and your controller may not be capable of generating the required data.  If its CC its dead easy.

Its normal communicated over Midi DIN cable or Midi via USB.  There IS wireless midi now available (called Widi) but its bluetooth based and I wouldn't trust it live.  Its also pretty expensive for the plugs - and Ive only ever seen them utilising DIN and not USB - so youd need a midi interface for a laptop anyway.   USB - as long as the board supports Midi over USB would be the answer.

As to WHICH software.... without some research I couldnt tell you as I dont use it.   a simple DAW may well be able to do this though (particularly if iits loop based sequencing) - so worth investigating.   

Oh - triggering with your feet....yes and no.   Technically yes - you just use a pedal that triggers the main board to send a CC message - however, if your using more than one sample you have to have a way to "select" the sample.  That may been manually selecting it - it may mean dedicated CCs (which you cant easily change on a pedal) etc.   I dont think its really something thats practice - but technically its possible.  Most would use either a button programmed to send a CC, press a key on the keybed thats programmed to be silent but transmits the note value to the POC that triggers the sample, of use a backing track and not bother with samples at all.
    edited June 8
    Thanks @paulmapp8306 , very interesting. I have a bit of a weekend in front of me so will do some more planning / procrastinating / experimenting.

Edit: By "board", do you mean keyboard / Nord or pedalboard?
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2758
    We use a drumpad that plays samples,  drummer just triggers the sample when needed.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    John_P said:
    We use a drumpad that plays samples,  drummer just triggers the sample when needed.  
    Great when it's possible, of course sometimes it's not e.g. verse of Locked Out Of Heaven.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    edited June 9
    topdog91 said:
    John_P said:
    Great when it's possible, of course sometimes it's not e.g. verse of Locked Out Of Heaven.
    I trigger the locked out of heaven samples on my keyboards pads.. You could still use drum pads on a seperate stand for the keys player to trigger if his keyboard doesnt have any.

topdog91 said:
    John_P said:
    I trigger the locked out of heaven samples on my keyboards pads.. You could still use drum pads on a seperate stand for the keys player to trigger if his keyboard doesnt have any.

That's what I was asking, what exactly do you mean keyboard's pads? Which model of keyboard? Talk to me like I know nothing about this. :)
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 106
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7445
    I'd be interested if there's a fairly cheap and chearful solution to this. We currently run samples off a backing track but would be great to bring some select few of them into the live performance, like when there's a drop with 808 drums the drummer could be playing them on a pad for instance. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ