Advice please re best 8 channel live mixer.

jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 247
Some advice please re what mixer to buy.
Until recently I have used a Bose T4S tonematch (4 channel) for gigs as a duo which is great.
However I am likely to be hosting open mic and other events in the future. Ideally I would like an 8 channel mixer of good quality, not too bulky, and ideally one that you can have separate compression and reverb option per channel.
What would you recommend?
TIA.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10719
    The Yamaha MG12 or MG16X has built in effects with variable send on each channel. There's a one knob compression control on the first 3 or 4 channels which is useful for vocals. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3201
    edited June 1
    I have both Allen and Heath Zed series and Soundcraft Signature for small gigs.

In my experience a mute button on a channel is far more useful than a built in compressor for open mics etc the smaller Zeds don’t have one which is really annoying, and  the bigger ones  Zed 60 -10 and 60 which do have mutes but they don’t mute the monitor sends.
    However the Zed sounds better than the Soundcraft and the Yamaha MG. I also hate the compressor on the MG , one knob best bet compression is a waste of signal and dynamics.

Oh and another piece of advice if your buying online remember to count the number of physical xlr inputs on the mixer so you have enough, most model descriptions count every input be it jack or phono or stereo and call the mixer for example the Zed 10 a 10 channel mixer when actually it only has 4 xlr ins
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 247
    Danny1969 said:
    The Yamaha MG12 or MG16X has built in effects with variable send on each channel. There's a one knob compression control on the first 3 or 4 channels which is useful for vocals. 
    Thanks I’ll research those two.

I have both Allen and Heath Zed series and Soundcraft Signature for small gigs.

In my experience a mute button on a channel is far more useful than a built in compressor for open mics etc the smaller Zeds don’t have one which is really annoying, and  the bigger ones  Zed 60 -10 and 60 which do have mutes but they don’t mute the monitor sends.
    However the Zed sounds better than the Soundcraft and the Yamaha MG. I also hate the compressor on the MG , one knob best bet compression is a waste of signal and dynamics.

Oh and another piece of advice if your buying online remember to count the number of physical xlr inputs on the mixer so you have enough, most model descriptions count every input be it jack or phono or stereo and call the mixer for example the Zed 10 a 10 channel mixer when actually it only has 4 xlr ins
    Thanks I’ll bear it in mind.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4834
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

Probably a bit large for my needs but thanks for the heads up/
    Finding it frustrating that as has been pointed out most of these only have 4 XLR ins which gives me no more than what I already have and those that have more are OTT/far too big for my needs.
  • Garold86Garold86 Frets: 123
    Hey Jim - I've got an MG16X currently in my possession if you wanted to try one before spending any cash. However it's a bulky affair, notwithstanding the flight case it resides in.

I think the issue you'll find, as you say, is that the size is determined by number of XLR inputs - 8 inputs necessitates a fairly sizable box. Have you thought about one of the digital mixers - a Behringer XR18 for example? Probably the smallest form factor for number of inputs given lack of physical sliders.
    Garold86 said:
    Hey Jim - I've got an MG16X currently in my possession if you wanted to try one before spending any cash. However it's a bulky affair, notwithstanding the flight case it resides in.

I think the issue you'll find, as you say, is that the size is determined by number of XLR inputs - 8 inputs necessitates a fairly sizable box. Have you thought about one of the digital mixers - a Behringer XR18 for example? Probably the smallest form factor for number of inputs given lack of physical sliders.
    That’s very kind but again too bulky. I think you’re right about the digital mixer, in fact I think the sensible thing to is to step up from my Bose T4S to a T8S.