Do Aux Sends use the channel EQ ?

MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1143
Maybe a daft question but i'm new to live mixers etc.

If you run vocals (for example) to monitors via the Aux Send does the EQ on the mixer channel go to the monitor, or just to the main outs ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ScreamingDaveScreamingDave Frets: 587
    I think it does normally. Some mixers may be switchable so you can send pre or post EQ, but normally it’d be just post EQ. I guess if you think about it, you wouldn’t want your carefully EQed vocals being spoiled by a vocal coming back from a reverb without EQ
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10719
    The aux sends designed for running monitors are generally pre fader and pre EQ  .... on some desks with 4 to 6 aux sends you can choose whether the last 2 or so are pre fader or post with a little button ... on some others you need to short a couple of pads internally. 

Generally for monitors you always want pre fader and pre EQ ..... this means the vocal won't go up in the monitors when the fader is ridden for FOH ... likewise the EQ .. it's generally pre EQ 

The aux sends designed for effects are post fader and post EQ .. this keeps the level of dry and wet vocal consistent with the vocal level 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1143
    ok thanks that makes sense, my desk has Aux sends and FX sends so i can do it either way 

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 1144
    I just had a check on mine (Yamaha). I've got three aux sends per channel, one is pre-fader, one is post-fader, and the middle one is switchable between the two. So I use two pre-fader sends for monitors.  All of them are post-EQ though so any EQ changes will end up in the monitors (had to check that). 

So, I suppose the answer is it depends, but if you can download a manual for the one you have it will tell you. 
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 106
    Also worth noting - if you’re having to apply serious EQ to a particular channel just to make it listenable, a piezo equipped fiddle for instance, then a pre-EQ monitor send will sound awful. This could be improved by EQing the aux master for that monitor but that will also affect any other signals going to the monitor, potentially making it unusable. In that case you might consider using a post-EQ monitor send if that facility is available.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1143
    turns out my board has 2 AUX sends, one has a button for EQ on/off, tried it last night and it worked well. Not doing much EQ, just removing some highs from Vocals.