Can you recommend a good, cheap bass amp for rehearsals?

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7237
I am looking for suggestions for an affordable, used, or new bass amp solution. I have a 20-watt valve head into a 4x12 cab for the guitar in my rehearsal space and an acoustic drum kit. 

The space is in my workshop and I am looking for a bass rig that can keep up with the guitar amp and drums. It is just for jamming, so I don't want to spend much money.

I want something solid that can get a decent bass tone.

Any suggestions or links to amps would be beneficial.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18077
    tFB Trader
    https://www.markbass.it/product/cmb-121-black-line/

I just bought one of these and I'm really impressed with how it sounds for the money.

I have the 40w and I'm not sure if it would keep up with a drummer (it would be very dependent on the drummer), but I did try the 150w at the shop and I didn't need the extra power for home use, but I'm sure you could use that at a rehearsal.

It's the very modern Mark Bass sound that I like if you want more retro sounding then it's a Fender Rumble I think.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3093
    A mate wanted a bass amp/combo for gigging a couple of years ago and picked up a Trace Elliot GP7 SM 300 2 x 10 combo off Facebook Marketplace for £170.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2079
    edited June 7
    I'd recommend the Trace Elliot Boxer - A durable, reliable, made in Great Britain version. It's an easy shape to carry and it doesn't weigh a tonne. 

Someone brought an EBS Session to mine round the other day and the TE was so much better.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6220
    Fender Rumble v3. Lightweight, great sounds, simple to use. Choose your wattage to suit your needs.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73540
    Find an old Peavey TNT, TKO or Combo 300. They weigh as much as an office building, the sound is a bit basic compared to nicer modern amps, but they’re loud, cost pennies and will likely still be working after a nuclear attack.

Older Trace Elliots would be a close second - with a slightly more modern, cleaner sound - but aren’t quite as solidly made and reliable, although a similar weight and price.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13106
    If you're not moving it around, you can buy older Trace gear for peanuts - nobody can face the weight anymore. All the practice rooms near me used to have them - bomb proof, easy to use, sounded decent, and very loud if needed. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14921

I have an earlier version of this. (Smooth tolex, different control layout, fugly but functional castors added.)

ICBM said:
    Older Trace Elliots … solidly made and reliable, although a similar weight and price.
    Like I said, castors added.

If you're not moving it around, you can buy older Trace gear for peanuts - nobody can face the weight anymore. 
    ŠKODA Yeti. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7237
    I don't need to move it, so heavy is fine. Thank you all for your suggestions, this has been really helpful. Nice one guys.
    I spotted a few Peavey TNT 115S models near me, and I am also keeping an eye out for Trace Elliot models. Just holding out to find the best deal.

That and I've just purchased my second drum kit this week, so need to tune those two up.
  • HoofHoof Frets: 518
    Our bassist ended up being very impressed with an Orange Crush Bass 100 combo that was in our local rehearsal place. I doubt a used one would set you back more than £250.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5563
    edited June 8
    The Ampeg Rocket Bass amp lineup is pretty rad for not a lot of money. I got the 112 recently as it’s the first one as you go up the lineup to have the ultrahi/ultralo switches. Not that it matters for you but it is also crazily lightweight - eerily so. Paid £365 for it new. They make bigger and smaller variants too depending on what you need/want. 

Weight is not an issue, as it won't be for gigging.

I need something to keep up with a drum kit and a loud valve guitar amp while rehearsing at mine.

Does anyone have any experience with the Line 6 Lowdown LD175 as a few of those going cheap

• jamjarmanjamjarman Frets: 10
    I've never been impressed by that era of line 6 gear I find it tends to be a bit unreliable (I use a Line 6 Helix now so not a Line 6 hater). 

In my experience you want around 300W (solid state) plus to keep up with a drummer and valve amp. 

I think a Peavy T-Max or Trace second hand will be a good option as previous comments have pointed out the weight puts most people off which means they can be had for pennies. 

A lot of the new Class D stuff is very good and very light, Ashdown often has a mixed rep for reliability, however I have been happy with the 3 Ashdown Units I have had. The OriginAL head is 300W (and can be bought already mounted in a speaker as a combo) and will not break the bank even new. 
    Appreciate your help with this. Thank you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73540
    jamjarman said:

In my experience you want around 300W (solid state) plus to keep up with a drummer and valve amp.
    Surprisingly, the older you go the less power you need… a Peavey TKO (130W) or a Trace 715 (150W) should be enough, even with a fairly loud drummer - a TNT (160W) definitely is.

As power supply components have got smaller, lighter and more efficient it seems this translates into less punch and perceived volume for a given rated output. When you get to the Ashdown era or later I would agree that 300W is better.

Speaker type and sensitivity still matters as it does with guitar amps - a big solid 1x15” or 4x10” will be fine, a 2x10” generally won’t, even with more power - unless it’s something like an SWR Goliath Jr, those are really loud. (But also weigh about the same as most 4x10”s.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I'm still hunting, and all this information is handy. Cheers everyone.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 1004
    I had an old Carlsbro PA as back-up. 150w a side, usually comes with 2x12 cabs. Can often be picked up for £100 or less.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25050
    Heavy cabs can be had for buttons - little while ago I saw an old Ampeg 810 that went for £150! - perfectly working, just that the tolex looked like a T-rex had been at it. And the 100lb weight of course.

Hartke HA3500 heads are pretty good and often go very cheap. The newer LH500 does as well but it's a bit soulless and crap. Damn loud though, and actually fine if you've got some sort of preamp pedal. One with a £40 clone of a BDDI would be fine.

The really early Ashdown UK made MAG series are pretty good. The Red Panel MAG400H is a cracker and usually very cheap now. I gigged one of those for years.

Alternative option that works well is a powered PA speaker and a preamp pedal. A used Yamaha DXR10 and the aforementioned £40 BDDI clone would be plenty, with the added benefit of being able to put vocals through it too if you have a little mixer.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25050
    edited June 20
    From Basschat:

Ashdown 1x15 cab at £95: Ashdown ABM 115 Evo 2 compact cabinet **Further Price Drop £95* - Amps and Cabs For Sale - Basschat

Orange OB1 300 Combo for only £350: Orange OB1-300C 300w Combo - £350 - Amps and Cabs For Sale - Basschat

Big old heavy Tech Amp head and 4x10 cab: Tech 21 Landmark 300 & B410 cabinet PRICE DROP £450!!! ONO - Amps and Cabs For Sale - Basschat

Ashdown ABM500 head at £175: Ashdown ABM 500 watt EVO 111 bass head. £175. - Amps and Cabs For Sale - Basschat

Of that lot, I'd probably have the Orange combo. The OBC amps sound excellent. It's a bit heavy, but if you don't have to move it....

Quite a few small amp heads on here too at various prices.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd