Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Spider season

What's Hot

So it's that time of year again when those gigantic creatures born of Satan himself come out to terrorise me. The other night I was happily playing GTA, when a 8-legged behemoth ran out from under the TV cupboard and bum-rushed me before running under the sofa. My reaction was pretty embarrassing to say the least!

Has anyone else got the same sort of hyper-arachniphobia as me? I need to remedy it somehow, even some sort of spider-catcher (sadly my two cats are gone) would help!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My own clever arachnaphobia tip: Give your spiders names. It helps to anthropomorphise (sp?) them and makes them seem less like tiny demon machines of concentrated terror.

I notice that there are a lot of crane flies this year. They have funny legs.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I like spiders because I'm a man, not a big flower.
    My V key is broken
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm better with spiders than I used to be.  I believe this was because someone at work once brought in a tarantula skin.  It was remarkable - the outer shell of a big hairy spider, down to the fangs, but completely inert. Stroking that made me much better at encountering them.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11669
    Spiders should know their place.

In the bath first thing in the morning - wrong.

Coming down from the chimney and watching telly with me on summer nights when I have the light off - almost endearing.

A mate of mine used to keep tarantulas n the bedroom, but then he was a drummer.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Ive got a huge spidery chap living under my telly stand thing. Comes out forra wander when it's dark. It's no bother. They're hyper intuitive. When It's booting it across the floor casting shadows off the fire, and you look at It, It stops. Doesn't move until you avert your gaze. Supposed to be good to have them in your house, so I leave 'em alone mostly. There's a big fella in me shed too, but he doesn't try and have me gin away when I'm in there, or steal my smokes, so we're cool.

I do recall watching a documentary about spidery things in Australia, and this bloke had this spidery thing in his kitchen on his ceiling (Huntsman spidery thing or summat), and it put a Tarantula to shame. It. Was. FUCKING. MASSIVE. He tried to dislodge it with a broom, but it just dropped and legged it. It was rapid to say the least. Those ones I'd be spray can/disposable lighter flame throwing. I would have shit.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 697
    Yes, that huntsman video is on YouTube Makes me jump every fckn time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    I mean come on, there's no need for those at all. Even me cat would bin that job. And me cat likes a bit o' slaughter.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6374

I live in a house full of mad women (wife and two daughters) and I am the 'spider man'.
    They all run shrieking out of the room when one of those little monsters scuttles across the floor.

I just pick them up and pop then back out in the garden.. They feed on any fly-eggs in your carpets..so I'm quite happy to have them running around the house 

>:D<
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    My pet Spider is called Boris he sits in the corner of the room and eats any nasty flies that fly by

• vizviz Frets: 11023
    Every Autumn I slaughter a goat in honour of our Overlord, Dyson, and his wonderful spider-sucking and dismembering invention.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mrs C is totally petrified of the things. She can't even look at a picture of one, and if one pops up on a tv prog, then she hides behind a cushion. I've tried to get her to get some help for the phobia, but she refuses to even talk about it.

Which means that I have to get rid of them from the house without hurting them, which is difficult. I don't mind them, but on occasion we've had a big bastard come up into the bath. Sounded like two horses running around. Slight exaggeration, but you know what I mean.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16465
    we have cats, so spiders are rarely a problem. I'm more worried about the 50 ft, venom dripping snakes with mouths the size of the London underground that the cats insist on bringing in.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    What passes for a spider in this country is pretty lame in comparison to what I grew up around.

Check out this bugger:

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16465
    and when he says "bugger" he means it, they breed those aussie spiders fucking hard.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SpiderSpider Frets: 130
    octatonic said:
    What passes for a spider in this country is pretty lame in comparison to what I grew up around.

Check out this bugger:

Ya need to put a lead on that an take it for a walk.  :-O
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    I know, a genuine phobia isn't a laughing matter but really... if I've managed to train my young daughters in the use of 'the spider catcher' (half a perspex Seymour Duncan pickup box and a postcard) to put them out in the garden without hurting them, grown adults should be able to manage it without too much trouble.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Time for nasty toilet seat spider again.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    i dont worry about spiders. I have a big fucker living in the shower corner. I named him Dave.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    viz;38512" said:
    Every Autumn I slaughter a goat in honour of our Overlord, Dyson, and his wonderful spider-sucking and dismembering invention.
    so thats what happened to Gertie the goat...

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)