Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Spider season

What's Hot

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4099
    Bidley said:

I need to remedy it somehow, even some sort of spider-catcher (sadly my two cats are gone) would help!

I have two of these (for upstairs and down):

spidercatcher.net

Takes a small amount of practice, like about two or three goes where you're getting your coordination together and mastering your emotions and just concentrating on dealing with the spider.  But once you've got it, oh man, what a relief knowing that you can deal with the little fuckers. I don't like killing them cos they have their place in the grand scheme of things, and so long as they stick to the house rules I'll leave them alone, but if they step out of line then I evict them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12657
    I dont mind them having a mooch about at night, we had one that did the same circuit at 9.45 every evening. Just put a glass over and slide a bit of card under it and chuck em out, easy peasy.
    I once used to lodge in an attic room and some nights there could be up to 4 of them in various configurations having a walk about, big buggers too, you could actually hear them scampering across my cds as I tried to catch them *brrr*
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    Those videos made me jump! I hate the buggers but I never kill them, I catch them and put them out. Even though they make my skin crawl, I never show it in front of the kids as I don't want to affect them.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    edited September 2013
    axisus said:
    Those videos made me jump! I hate the buggers but I never kill them, I catch them and put them out. Even though they make my skin crawl, I never show it in front of the kids as I don't want to affect them.
    Exactly. The big buggers still make me involuntarily jump when they scuttle, but I'm not going to be afraid of something that much smaller than me and which is harmless (unlike some of the ones octatonic grew up with!). Catching them with a see-through cover and a card so you can then safely look at them really close up helps - the kids like to do that now too.

I actually quite like the tiny ones, they're a bit more friendly. I also genuinely like moths, especially the huge furry ones - which I know are another big cause of phobia. Even then, if one catches me by surprise I can still get the jump reaction.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    @Grunfeld, thanks for that, I'll look into it!

@octatonic, one reason I'll never go to Australia!

@ICBM, congrats on your daughters being 'more man' than me. My old man tried to get me to deal with them myself when I was young, right up to when I left home, and it just wasn't happening. I got as far as putting a pint glass over them, but I could never put the card/coaster underneath! I'd be so shaken up, I'd probably drop the card/glass and the fucking thing would walk up my arm and eat MY FACE (ok, maybe not the last bit).

I know it's silly, and despite their size I am aware that they're quite a bit smaller than me and they can't do any direct damage to me. I get angry as much as terrified when I have an encounter, as it really would be much easier to not give a shit!
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    edited September 2013
    Grunfeld said:
     I don't like killing them cos they have their place in the grand scheme of things, 
    this - different sized spiders will eat different sized bugs,   we never evict,  just re-locate. Sometimes even feed them. 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    Actually my kids are mostly very good with spiders. This was son no2 at 6 years old back in 2006:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Just been reading about the big spiders...

Huntsman spiders grow a leg-span up to 30cm Heteropoda Maxima is the biggest of them, but the Goliath Bird Eating Spider is the biggest by mass...

And yet the biggest fossil spider (from when everything else was massive) was only a few inches across... strange

• As the who would sing.
    "Never more will he crawl round, cos he's embedded in the ground"

Stunning creatures...

Millions and millions of years of evolution have created few types of animals with more than two eyes, but so many species of spider out there, 8 legs, up to 8 eyes, little arm like appendages... ability to make one of the strongest fibres in the natural world... some can jump many times their body length - with great accuracy. Many can construct amazing home/trap combinations which glisten beautifully when moist and lit well... one family - Portia - learn at a fantastic rate to over-come prey species they've never before encountered, and exhibit both intelligence like attributes and some form of inherited hunting tactics as instinct.

Amazing.
  • vizviz Frets: 11023
    Bastard aliens.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • we never bother the spiders, they keep the house clear of ants and little bugs/flies
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Myranda said:

Stunning creatures...

Millions and millions of years of evolution have created few types of animals with more than two eyes, but so many species of spider out there, 8 legs, up to 8 eyes, little arm like appendages... ability to make one of the strongest fibres in the natural world... some can jump many times their body length - with great accuracy. Many can construct amazing home/trap combinations which glisten beautifully when moist and lit well... one family - Portia - learn at a fantastic rate to over-come prey species they've never before encountered, and exhibit both intelligence like attributes and some form of inherited hunting tactics as instinct.

Amazing.
    And yet they still can't make even a half-way decent lasagne. Evolution is broken.
    How do you know they can't make lasagne? I've seen no trusted peer reviewed studies showing the inability to cook in spiders
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    As there's a health warning associated with this - would it not have been useful for the article to be accompanied by enough photos to positively identify the spider?
  • This thread needs to die. Die by fire.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• vizviz Frets: 11023
    frankus said:

Something about that article seems odd: “I was in bed with the light off,” Mr Lakeman told News Shopper. “I have quite a lot of hair and it normally brushes on my shoulder and being a hot night I had the fan on. To begin with I thought it was my hair so instinctively I threw it off onto the floor.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2189
    edited September 2013

Poisonous spiders? What are people eating them?

/pedant

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details