NGD Atkin OM37

What's Hot
BowynMadleyBowynMadley Frets: 154
So as I've got older I've become a bit more impulsive and after seeing a few Atkin guitars of varying specs come up I started doing a bit research. I initially went after went after an all mahogany parlour which was on reverb. However the seller seemed hell bent on not selling even after I offered a high amount that he was about to reduce it too.

Then I spied this lovely looking OM for sale in the classifieds and low an behold @thebreeze wasn't that far from me. So we struck a deal and she came home to casa Madley Sunday morning.

I must say Steve was a pleasure to deal with. Prompt responses, clear description and details pictures on request wasn't an issue. Thank you Steve. 

After anew set of Elixirs and removing the LR Baggs M1a pickup it was singing like a bird. I've had an M1a before and found that although it sounded great it's weight hindered the top from moving and reducing sound quality. 

Long story short I saw the guitar and 5 days later I have a guitar I didn't need but very glad I bought 

Cheers

Bo
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2820
    Thanks for those kind words, Bo.  Really pleased you’re into it and got it just the way you want it.  Despite not being that experienced with acoustics I could sense it was a good one.

Atkin are deservedly gaining a reputation the world over.  Great guitars.  Enjoy it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 484
    Congrats on the Atkin, I have an OM37 too and it’s a lovely guitar. I think Atkin are making some of the best acoustics on the planet. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BowynMadleyBowynMadley Frets: 154
    mo6020 said:
    Congrats on the Atkin, I have an OM37 too and it’s a lovely guitar. I think Atkin are making some of the best acoustics on the planet. 
    Yes the build quality is up there for sure. The sound is so good
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 526
    Glad it’s found a new home - I was very close to taking the acoustic plunge with this one.  
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5749
    I only hear nice things about Atkin. Sounds like a brilliant choice.
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 132
    Welcome to the OM37 club!
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 928
    Atkins are superb, leagues ahead of what gibson and martin are pumping out. HNGD
  • bermudianbritbermudianbrit Frets: 176
    Oh man I love there work. I have a D37 prewar that is superb.  Interested in the comment about the pickup weighting down the top. I've heard of this and it orries me as I decide what pickup to go for in the Atkin.
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 928
    Oh man I love there work. I have a D37 prewar that is superb.  Interested in the comment about the pickup weighting down the top. I've heard of this and it orries me as I decide what pickup to go for in the Atkin.
    I put a LR Baggs Hifi under the bridge or my D37-A  which doesn't seem to adversely effect the sound
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11621
    I've found that magnetic soundhole pickups do affect the tone for the worse.

I had a couple of guitars that I added them to, and with hindsight it was a major mistake.
    Hhhhngh I have been after a Prewar for a while… any pics I can perve over please? 

I've only found it with the M1a from lr baggs. Its magnetic pickup with a preamp and battery all in one unit. It's weighty and hangs in the center of the top. All results in deadening the top. I have an anthem and an anthem sl in other guitars and haven't looked back with them.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11621
    I had Fishman Rare Earth Humbuckers.  Again, preamp and battery all on board, and heavy.  Definitely deadened the sound.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 819
    Congrats on Atkin.

Should there be electrics on acoustics? The cost of your Atkin is justified by tone and playability so imho electrics are superfluous. Electrics are becoming more routine for acoustics and I'm agin'em! Personal view (very) Obviously.

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2820
    DavidR said:
    Congrats on Atkin.

Should there be electrics on acoustics? The cost of your Atkin is justified by tone and playability so imho electrics are superfluous. Electrics are becoming more routine for acoustics and I'm agin'em! Personal view (very) Obviously.

I think it depends what you’re using it for.  If you’re gigging every night and don’t want the hassle of mic placements or the venue isn’t sophisticated in terms of sound or audience just being able to plug in and play is really useful.  I suppose you’re wondering why use an Atkin for that but if the guitar plays so well and also sounds great (despite the pickup) it’s hard not to want to use it.

All this is making me think I should have tried it without the pickup though (lol) but in reality I’m not an acoustic player and can get by with my ‘80’s Washburn (which has the electrics built in).
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 819
    edited June 12
    Yes I can see that. I’ve been hanging my nose over a GS Mini of late. A very popular guitar and most available are with electrics so I suspect I’m in the minority! 

:-)
    DavidR said:
    Congrats on Atkin.

In theory I completely agree with you. Almost every acoustic sounds better without any electronics in it. In this instance I just wanted a straight acoustic for home use. I'll likely take it to the local open mic (it's very small and nothings amplified) 
  • bermudianbritbermudianbrit Frets: 176
    lol @mo6020 I'd gladly do so but I'm blind and therefore suck at taking perv-worthy photos :).I am reliably informed from the certificate in the case that this is no. 1 of 25 for the anniversary. It absolutely thunders. I will definitely be putting a pickup in it though.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    lol @mo6020 I'd gladly do so but I'm blind and therefore suck at taking perv-worthy photos :).I am reliably informed from the certificate in the case that this is no. 1 of 25 for the anniversary. It absolutely thunders. I will definitely be putting a pickup in it though.

Lr baggs have just released the hifi dual so it has an pad style undersaddle with a mic inside the body too. Think it's available in the UK in a month or so. I put a anthem in my martin d35 and it's really good 

Ah man I bet that thing is amazing.