£1.5k Squier Telecaster

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1826
edited June 13 in Guitar
Now I get that these guitars are now revered and seemingly have some magical elements to them or something.

But how on earth is a 1983 Squier Telecaster going to be worth that sort of money?

https://notomguitars.com/collections/frontpage/products/1983-squier-telecaster

Surely it's not going to be any better than the American Performer tele which retails for less than this as a brand new American made guitar. And that's before there's the whole raft of Mexican made Tele's too.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gubblegubble Frets: 1826
    StefB said:
    Corrected - my shock over the price caused the spelling mistake I'd obviously never make :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 310
    edited June 13
    StefB said:

Unfortunately, I have (but no further comment).

Edit - It would appear that the OP has corrected the spelling, anyway.
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1894
    That's Dean Street all over.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13371
    gubble said:
    Now I get that these guitars are now revered and seemingly have some magical elements to them or something.

But how on earth is a 1983 Squier Telecaster going to be worth that sort of money?
    Answered your own question there, haven't you...

Its mental, but it's the natural consequence of the last few decades of internet driven hype. 
  • GillyGilly Frets: 1332
    gubble said:

It’s not but someone might be stupid/naive/deluded/loaded (delete as appropriate) enough to pay it. That’s where we’re at now in the guitar market.

I’m glad I got out of that nonsense a while ago and I’m happier now playing my Squier classic vibe tele and Epiphone Dot than I ever was when I spent silly amounts of money on vintage guitars because of, you know, “mojo”.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    edited June 13
    I remember several years ago playing a used Japanese Squier Strat which was on sale for just over £600 - At the time a new MIM Std Strat was IIRC around £400. The Squier was, at best, average. Certainly not sprinkled in fairy dust or gently bathed in unicorn tears. It had probably had a liberal application of snake oil though.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318
    I bought one of the very first Squier P basses just after they were released back at the start of the eighties and it was an exceptionally good instrument; lightweight with a rich tone and high quality finish - much better than some of the boat anchor duds Fender were releasing around that time. I had to sell it for rent and it's one of the few instruments I still regret selling to this day. If another came my way that was identical to my original in every way then I would be seriously tempted.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2554
    I was at least expecting an early JV when I clicked on that link, not an SQ. Yeesh.
    Tim
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1265
    1983 makes it vintage innit?

I wouldn't swap my American Performer for it in a million years.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3757
    I remember these back in the 80's, they were nothing more than cheap, nobody wanted them. Its hype and opinions, nothing more.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 228
    I am pretty sure I only paid £1049 for my 60's JV modified telecaster and they threw in a free pair of strings too. Possibly the best built guitar I have played so far.
  • BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 310
    Only a pair of strings?!
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14034
    Surely only the gullible will pay £1500 for a 1983 Squier?
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 993
    edited June 13
    robgilmo said:
    I remember these back in the 80's, they were nothing more than cheap, nobody wanted them. Its hype and opinions, nothing more.
    My recollection is entirely different. Squier JVs were a minor sensation in 1982 and loads of pros jumped on them - and Tokais too - with absolute glee. SQs were nearly as good and they were much liked by those who nabbed them. 

I've had quite a few and still have an 82 62 style P-bass and it's an extremely good playing and sounding vintage RI by any standards. 

Mind you I still think they're only inherently worth £750, tops.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    JezWynd said:
    I bought one of the very first Squier P basses just after they were released back at the start of the eighties and it was an exceptionally good instrument; lightweight with a rich tone and high quality finish - much better than some of the boat anchor duds Fender were releasing around that time. I had to sell it for rent and it's one of the few instruments I still regret selling to this day. If another came my way that was identical to my original in every way then I would be seriously tempted.
    I am of similarly advanced age to remember the launch of the Squier JV instruments in the UK. 

The basses and Stratocasters were, indeed, very nice to play. Some models had American-made pickups.

IMO, the '52 Telecaster model was the exception to the rule. Its neck profile was too shallow for an early Sixties Stratocaster, let alone a blackguard Telecaster. I owned one for a while, modified it a bit and still did not get on with the neck.

The prices for Squier JV have been escalating ever since people recognised how much better they had been compared to the E Series and the Korean Standard range - some of which had laminate bodies!

In one sense, the Squier JV instruments never really went away. They just got rebadged as Fender and the Telecaster finally got a proper thickness neck.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Tall_martinTall_martin Frets: 255
    .Surely only the gullible will pay £1500 for a 1983 Squier?
    Surely only the gullible will pay x for y.

Ahhh said the marketeers hold my beer  :)

This house is better than those houses that's why it's £££££££ more

This Gibson Murphy lab/ fender custom shop/ PRS wood libary is produced by american  master craftsmen, not meer anywhere else in the world craftsman.

this stripey wood is better than that stripey wood

And so on

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2676
    It's becuase: "This guitar has been given a full service by our luthiers at the Vintage Instrument Workshop, and includes a 3 year warranty." - Now that's got to be worth £500 at least :lol: 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13736
    gubble said:
    Now I get that these guitars are now revered and seemingly have some magical elements to them people have way too much money despite the cost of living crisis or something.
    FTFY
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3757
    KKJale said:
    robgilmo said:
    My recollection is entirely different. Squier JVs were a minor sensation in 1982 and loads of pros jumped on them - and Tokais too - with absolute glee. SQs were nearly as good and they were much liked by those who nabbed them. 

I've had quite a few and still have an 82 62 style P-bass and it's an extremely good playing and sounding vintage RI by any standards. 

Mind you I still think they're only inherently worth £750, tops.
    I'm not saying they arnt good instruments, I am saying the hype around them isnt a reflection on how they actually are, and this one has an asking price well above that of a MIJ Fender from the same era which in my experience are really great guitars, this was just a cheaper substitute. You could easily get the same great build quality and playability from an Aria of the same vintage for a whole lot less.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.