Suspicious Minds

What's Hot
19791979 Frets: 90
Me and a few friends get together once a week to play through some of our favourite songs, one of which is the Elvis version of Suspicious Minds. I vary playing the main riff between open position and using the barre chords at the third fret. To me it sounds more authentic at the third fret but I feel like it’s more difficult. Do any of you prefer to  play this song in either position?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PALPAL Frets: 569
    This might help. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1468
    The above is exactly how I do it with the band minus the hybrid picking. I use the plectrum for all the parts throughout cos I can't get the volume up on the non-plectruméd / hybrid notes. I could use a compressor of course but I don't have one on my board. 

I find it a bit of a fiddly little riff ( I know someone here mentioned it's easy and just basically Going For Gold by Shed 7 but it's not - it's a bit more involved than that). One of the ones in the setlist I like done and dusted out of the way - unfortunately the band have been opening with this one recently and I just have to suck it up.

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • 19791979 Frets: 90
    @PAL  That’s a tutorial I’ve seen recently. I more often than not end up muting the last note before changing chords so more practice is required. I appreciate the help though, thank you.
  • 19791979 Frets: 90
    @CaseOfAce  it sounds like you’re a little further down the road than me. 
     Opening with it means it’s done and out of the way, so at least that’s in your favour