Column PA for solo acoustic gigs

LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1222
Seeing a few solo performers using these lately. Looks like a sub with a column speaker bolted on top. 
They look really neat and portable and sound pretty good too so I’m thinking of upgrading. 

I currently use a pair of HH Vector 12” speakers, powered by an 800W Intimidation amp with a Behringer graphic EQ. A pretty cheap system that does the job but could be better. 

I don’t know much about column systems, what specs should I be looking for to cover pub/small hall gigs? Any brands to check out or avoid?

Cheers 
Ronnie
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 344
    The one that started this is Bose. Check out the L1 system. There are now many imitators at more budget-conscious prices. I have not been following each imitator so I cannot tell you which brands are worth avoiding. A friend's band has the Bose system and is forever going on about how portable it is compared to their old PA and how the sound works for everyone - each band member and the audience.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    I use a pair of JBL Eon-1s for acoustic gigs and they sound lovely, really rich and detailed. 

Part of the reason they're popular is they're not too directional and the feedback rejection is excellent. 
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3254
    Personally if your thinking of upgrading from your HH gear, I would suggest you look at the Bose S1 pro powered speaker, , small neat, powerful with the added bonus of having a battery,reverb 3 channels and Bluetooth . The sound is very coloured works well on its own for small gigs. 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    Columns are popular and give a spread of sound, they tend not to project like a traditional cab would, but that’s only an issue if the shape and size of the venue dictates it. 
    I’ve got myself an EV evo8. Which it a battery/mains cab that does all the mixing on board with Wi-Fi or the external knob. Water resistant, light and once EQd gives an impressive sound. Doubles as wedge for band stuff and can be paired with an active sub if you need grunt.
  • LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1222
    Looks like the Bose L1 can be had for around £500 used. Are they worth it or are you just paying for the name?
    They look quite tall in the pictures, could be an issue in some old pubs with low ceilings?
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5687
    It would have to be a pub in Hobbiton for it to be an issue. A friend has an L1 and uses it at a proper olde worlde pub, and it's fine. It's not as tall as me (OK, I'm 6'4" but even so).

From my limited exposure, the Bose kit is good and works well. Cheaping out with e.g. Sub Zero, yeah, not so much.
  • LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1222
    Cheers, there’s one for sale not far from me. Just need to convince the missus…
  • HoarasaurusHoarasaurus Frets: 110
    My Twopenneth,

The Bose stuff is very good, but has a definitely has a 'processed' sound about them.

I've got a DB Technologies ES 1203 setup, which is so much more natural in its sound, and configurable to be Mono, like the Bose, or you can split the tops to make it stereo, or have a wider spread. Plywood construction, and it came with all the cables, padded cases and poles.

The ES1203 may be too big for what you need, but the ES 503 may suit you, and they're around £800 new. 
    Lots of Nice Guitars, and not enough pedals!
    Trader Feedback